What's new in Joomla!
From Joomla! Documentation
(Redirected from What's new in Joomla! 3.1)
This page lists enhancements and features added to the current version of Joomla! If you are logged into the Joomla! Docs wiki, you can watch this page for changes and updates as version enhancements are released. Just click the 'star' icon at the top to add this page to your watch list.
Joomla! 3.8 comes with more than 300 improvements.
The main features are:
- New Routing System - The new routing system gives users more control over their URL structure, including the often requested ability to remove IDs from URLs - See also New Routing System
- Joomla! 4 Compatibility Layer - The development of Joomla! 4 has made some changes in how the core code is structured by migrating classes to use PHP namespaces. Joomla! 3.8 includes a mapping layer to allow developers to use the older class names while being able to take advantage of the new class name structure.
- Improved Sample Data Installation - It is now possible to install sample data within your site backend after finishing the installation process, allows users to create their own generic data sets or extension developers to provide easy-to-install sample data for their extensions
- Sodium Encryption Support - PHP 7.2 introduces the new sodium extension for processing encrypted data, through a polyfill of this library Joomla! 3.8 makes this new API available for all of our users even before they upgrade to PHP 7.2
Joomla! 3.7 comes with more than 700 improvements.
The main features are:
- Custom Fields: Up to 15 different type available (lists, text fields, dates...) to create custom fields for articles, users and contacts. See also Managing Custom Fields
- Multilingual Associations Component: Translation of the content can now be done directly from one interface. See also the Multilingual Associations Component Tutotrial
- Backend Menu Manager: Create, edit and organise the backend menu links to display different administration menus according to user groups.
- Improved workflow: Create a menu item, an article and a category in one step.
- Extension Maintenance: Extension developers can set a flag in the package manifest of their extension to prevent from uninstalling the component, modules, and plugins separately
- TinyMCE Improvements: New buttons added to the toolbar, customisation improved ...
See the list on new features on GitHub
Joomla! 3.6 comes with more than 400 improvements.
The main features are:
- Show all menu items: Organise, list and filter all existing menu items on one page
- Menu type ACL: Access control for managing menu types
- Improved UX: Speed up workflow through administrative UX improvements
- Categories on the fly: Add new categories without leaving the item editor
- Subform field: New field type offers new possibilities for developers
- Improved Joomla! Updates: One-click core system reinstall and package upload updating.
- PHP 7 Support
- Update Notifications via Email
- System Information Export
- Drag Drop Images
- Anonymised System Data
- Easily Insert Modules in Articles
- Item counter (+ click through filter) in Category Manager
- Random category blog and list order view.
- Front-end Module Editing,
- Decoupling com_weblinks,
- Composer Integration,
- No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA,
- Core en-GB standardisation
- Content version control
- Many user interface improvements
- Easy multi-lingual setup for 64 officially supported languages
- Built-in Joomla! Extensions Finder as an onsite interface to the Joomla! Extensions Directory (that currently lists over 8000 extensions) providing one-click extensions installation
- Increased security with strong passwords and two step authentication
- New rapid development framework for new extension coding
- Added note form field
- Show logs in debug console
- Refactor installation to use new application and MVC classes
- Added pagination in COM_SEARCH component
- Added triggers on save for com_config
- JPlugin autoloadLanguage property
- Added SQL Server subclass for FinderIndexer
- Media wiki package
- OpenStreetMap package
- UNION ALL feature
The following information below is from the Joomla! 3 Introduction site.
Joomla! takes a big leap into the mobile space with a total overhaul of both its frontend design and administrator interface. With the adoption of the Bootstrap framework, Joomla! has become the first major CMS to be mobile ready in both the visitors and administrator areas. Now every website can have mobile friendly content for visitors and mobile friendly tools for administrators.
- Fully Responsive Site Template
- Fully Responsive Admin UI
- Fully Responsive Core Output
Joomla administration has a brand new look and feel, built with the power of Bootstrap responsive framework, along with a touch of the awesome UI/UX work of the Joomla JUX team. Joomla comes ready to go and fully responsive for mobile devices, tablets, and normal computer screens. The entire backend of Joomla has a brand new look and feel that will improve your workflow with any type of device.
- New User Friendly Interface
- Streamlined 30 Second Install
- Refined Admin User Experience
- Build a Component with Zero CSS
- Style a Site with 1 CSS File
- Icomoon Font Icon
- jQuery & Mootools
Whole Lot More
Joomla! 3.0 is a whole new exciting world. We took a little from the top, bottom, and side to create a whole brand new look and feel, along with many features under the hood features that bring Joomla to the forefront of the content management system world.
- Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
- Incorporation of Bootstrap into a jui media package.
- A new responsive administrator template Isis and interface.
- A new frontend template Protostar built using Bootstrap and updated accessible template called Beez3
- PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
- PHP Memcached Driver
- Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
- Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
- Guest user group present by default
- Saving blank articles allowed
- New administrator statistics module
- Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
- Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
- Improvements to Smart Search
- Unit testing in the CMS
- Updated system tests in the CMS
Try the Demo of Joomla!
Try Joomla! and get a 90-day free Joomla! demo account on : https://demo.joomla.org