CMS Architecture in 1.5 and 1.6
From Joomla! Documentation
This page has been archived. This page contains information for an unsupported Joomla! version or is no longer relevant. It exists only as a historical reference, it will not be improved and its content may be incomplete and/or contain broken links.
The 1.5 and 1.6 versions of the Joomla! CMS are based on a three-tiered system that consists of the following:
- The top, Extensions layer, consists of Extensions to the Joomla Framework and its applications:
- The middle, Application layer, consists of applications that extend the Framework JApplication class. Currently, there are four applications included in the Joomla distribution:
- JInstallation is responsible for installing Joomla on a web server and is deleted after the installation procedure has been completed.
- JAdministrator is responsible for the back-end website administration.
- JSite is responsible for the front-end of the website.
- XML-RPC supports remote administration of the Joomla website.
- The bottom, Framework layer, consists of:
- ↑ See also Platform
- ↑ Joomla! Framework vs Joomla! Platform