Developing a MVC Component/Introduction
From Joomla! Documentation
< J2.5:Developing a MVC ComponentRevision as of 07:18, 25 September 2012 by Tom Hutchison
This is a multi-part tutorial on how to develop a Model-View-Contoller Component for Joomla! 2.5. You can find the other parts of this tutorial on each page in the right sidebar under "Articles in this Series".
Read the Introduction or Skip to the first part of this tutorial.
You need Joomla! 2.5 (with PHP, MySQL, Apache and Microsoft II) or greater for this tutorial.
Joomla! 2.5 is constructed using three different applications:
- installation (used for installing Joomla)
- administrator (used for managing content)
- public (used for displaying content)
The installation application is used once. The administrator and public are used through the concept of components. Each component has two entry points:
- one is located in the components directory (it is used for displaying content)
- one is located in the administrator/components directory (it is used for managing content)
Both are called com_componentname/componentname.php (the com_ prefix is a historical trace)