Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs on Apache
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 13:39, 17 March 2010 by Beanluc
This article addresses SEF URLs under the popular, open-source Apache webserver.
SEF URL implementation is possible under Microsoft's IIS webserver as well, please see IIS and Joomla.
- 1. Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess.
- If Joomla is installed in its own folder, uncomment "RewriteBase /" and enter the Joomla folder name after the backslash. Example: RewriteBase /joomla
- 2. Make sure that Mod_rewrite is working. Check that the line shown below in the file "apache/conf/httpd.conf" is uncommented. If necessary, uncomment the line and re-start the Apache web server.
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
- 3. In Global configuration, select yes to all three SEF options. The action of the three parameters is as follows:
- Search Engine Friendly URLs. Converts the URLs from the native Joomla! format to the SEF format.
- Use Apache mod_rewrite. Uses the Apache "mod_rewrite" function to eliminate the "index.php" portion of the URL. If you don't want to use mod_rewrite, set this to "No" and don't rename the htaccess.txt. The SEF URLs feature will still work. The only difference is that you will see "index.php" in the URL, for example,
- Add suffix to URLs. Adds ".html" to the end of URLs.