From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 11:58, 13 May 2013 by Natselection
- 1 Choosing a name: recommendations
- 2 Extension names at JED
- 3 How is the name created at JED?
- 4 Joomla as a word
- 5 Special cases
- 6 JED entry name: Do's and donts
- 7 Alias Disclaimer
To name your extension its an art and part of a marketing strategy. But you also need to stay away of name conflicts with extensions already listed at JED.
Extension names will impact in the extension structure and URLs after installed, so plan ahead!
Choosing a name: recommendations
Using a name similar to another extension?
- Users could be confused and send bad reports or reviews to your extension but that was intended to the other
- Security reports for an extension with similar names could confuse users
- Just adding your company name could be sufficient to make users aware of the differences
- You should stay away from brand disputes with other developers
How to create a good extension name?
Be creative and think on a brand: think about marketing for your extension, not for others brand!
- Try to make up a new word for your brand name
- Choose a name thats easy and cool to pronounce
- Needs to be short as your XML and PHP files will be named after extension name. URLs on Joomla! sites will suffer too!
- Avoid descriptive names as they are longer and more difficult to promote
- To make it easy to search use your description text at JED, not the name!
Extension names at JED
JED its a directory and each submission gets its own ID (the number at the end of the URL on the edit page).
- This ID its the single identifier for each entry at JED.
- Each entry will get an alias, also called Name, to be easy to remember.
Different extensions, different names
The JED entry name its approved by JED Editors in a first-submitted, first-served system.
- Your extension name needs to be different from any extension already submitted to JED (company names not included)
- The extension name must be stated at the XML file tag NAME
- You should use the same name in your site when referring to the extension, especially in the download page
Extension names conflict
An extension name will be considered in conflict when its too similar to other extension.
This is a JED Editors call, but you are able to create a report for that.
- When extension names are found in conflict, JED will consider the oldest extension submitted, even if not currently published.
- The more recent ones will be required to change their names.
- This will be done case by case with each extension developer.
How is the name created at JED?
The alias (name) its created by a JED editor, using:
- Proposal of developer in the field called "name".
- The proposal must be the same to install name in the xml manifest tag "NAME".
- To propose a name change, fist update the attached extension to reflect the new name, then open a support ticket and make your name change proposal.
- Some words are not allowed. ie Refrain from using 'plugin' or 'module' in names.
- Some words can be added by JED editors, acting as tags.
Where will JED look for extension names?
- In the XML tags and code file names. Some special tags need to be the same (spaces not included).
* <name>jedilightsaber</name> * <menu>Jedi Lightsaber</menu>
* mod_jedilightsaber.xml * mod_jedilightsaber.php
Light and Pro versions
The word "Light"and/or "Pro" can be added to differentiate two extensions from the same developer but with different features and distribution plans (as in non-commercial Lite version and commercial Pro version ) The word "Free" is considered promotional text and cannot be used.
Where to add the LIGHT/PRO tag?
- Components: in the XML name tag and file names or just to the menu tag name and JED Alias name.
- Modules and plugins: in the XML name tag and file names or just at JED Alias name.
Joomla as a word
Word "Joomla" and the extensions name
We at the Joomla Extensions Directory have a direct interest in maintaining the integrity of the Joomla brand.
As such, we cannot allow violations of the Joomla trademark, logo, brand, etc., to be placed in or linked from the Joomla Extensions Directory.
- An extension name can't start with the word "Joomla".
- Extensions that use "Joomla" or a derivative of Joomla in the extension name need to be licensed by OSM.
- Extensions that use "Joomla" or a derivative of Joomla in the domain name need to be licensed by OSM.
Please note that extensions should not be named Joomla! XXX. Rather they should be named XXX for Joomla! or some other similar variation that will not cause confusion with Joomla!.
- Its a good practice to completely avoid the full word Joomla.
Derivative of Joomla string
What are the strings considered related with Joomla string?
- please read: JED_Entries_Trademark_Checklist
How can your extensions be licensed?
- please read: JED_Entries_Trademark_Checklist
Extension Specific Extensions
Extension Specific Extensions are considered extensions that require another extension to be installed in order to run.
- Specific extensions to an individual extension will have "for MAIN-EXTENSION-NAME" at the end of its name, and included as part of the XML name.
Example: "Category filter for K2" or "Product search for Virtuemart"
If you need to re-brand an old extension and avoid conflicts in installed sites please talk with JED team first. After choosing the new name:
- Update your XML file tags NAME and MENU
- Rename your files to reflect the new extension name
- Repack and re-attach the file to your actual JED entry
- Revise the mentions to the extension at your website
Note: If #1 or #2 are not possible on compatibility with installed sites please include the new name in the description tag or in a comments line at your XML file.
Forked extensions have special rules to be listed at JED.
- The extension name also needs to be changed and cannot use the old one so it is very clear that this is a separate project.
The name must be included at the main or EXE file name.
- A TXT file must be included with the tool name, copyright, license and URL to download
Scripts or libraries
The name must be included at the main file.
- In the headers script you need to include comments with the script name, copyright and license
- A TXT file must be included with the name, copyright, license and URL to download
JED entry name: Do's and donts
- XML file tag NAME needs to be the same as the extension entry name
- Components Admin menu (the tag MENU in the XML) needs to be the same as the Extension name
- Offensive words, political or religious statements.
- Extension types as they are not considered part of the extension name.
- This will be used only for the same developer extensions if required (module and plugin versions)
- Version number (there is a field for that)
- Price tags, commercial promotions or URL domains
- Company name or author name (there is a field for that)
Alias (names) can be edited by Jed editors at any time if its considered necessary for the maintainance of the directory.
- The alias names used at JED does not represent an endorsement of trademarks used by the product by Joomla.org or OSM
- JED will not be involved in trademarks disputes as they need to be addressed by the users.