Hands-on adding a new article: Joomla! 1.5
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 15:48, 26 December 2010 by LornaS
This article or section is incomplete, which means it may be lacking information. You are welcome to assist in its completion by editing it as well. If this article or section
Index to the other documents in this series
How to create a new article
This shows how to create a new article. After a new article is 'published' it can continue to be edited and worked on.
Who is it written for?
You also need:
- access to a Joomla! site
- to be logged in with a username with an appropriate level of permission
Where will the Article be located?
- You need to know where the new Article is to be located
- This depends on the organisation of the Web site. If you are using an existing site, you need to be told which Section and Category it will be assigned to.
Starting a new article
You can easily start a new article for yourself although exactly how you do this depends on how the Web site you use is set up.
- Many sites have a USER MENU with several options about things users might want to do. (It is not always called a USER MENU - it depends on the site!). One of the common options is to Submit an Article (Sometimes called Create an Article). If this option is available - use it:-
- Find the USER MENU
- Click on Submit an Article
- Sometimes the site has been set up to show a small icon that looks like a sheet of paper at the bottom of many of the list pages. (This icon does not appear on pages with just one article - it does appear on pages where there is a list of articles.)
The editing screen (called Submit an Article) is loaded. This is the same editor as used for editing Articles, except that it has no content and no title.
- Type in a title in the title box
- Type in some text - or copy text from another document
Saving your work
Before saving a new article for the first time, you need to enter some information in the Publishing section of the editor, including whether it is published and where it is to be located.
- If you are a Publisher, type a few lines and then go to the Publishing part of the editor and Save it. You will then be able to continue editing.
- If you are an Author it is worth typing quite a bit of content at this stage before adding the details in the Publishing part of the editor. This is because you will not be able to return to editing until it has been published.
Both publishers and authors need to know which Menu the Article will be in after it has been saved.
The Publishing part of the editor
- Scroll down to the Publishing section.
Here you must make a number of choices about where the new Article will be located and who will be able to read it.
The choice of Section and Category will depend on those available on the site you are using. Getting the Section and Category correct usually means that it will display in the right place. The screen shot is of the Sample data in 'localhost' and shows the Section and Category chosen.
- Section: choose from the pull-down list
- Category: the choices depend on the Section chosen
- Published: Leave this as Yes. This choice is not available if you are an Author
- Front Page: always leave this as No
- Access Level: choose the appropriate one for your site.
- Save the article
If you are a publisher - you should now be able to find the article in the place you expect!
--Lorna Scammell December 2010