From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 21:21, 30 March 2008 by RoscoHead
In this screen you have the ability to create a contact (when you click on the 'New' button in the Contact Manager), or to edit an existing contact (when you select a contact and click on the 'Edit' button in the Contact Manager).
Details and description
You will see different fields where you can fill in or edit information of the contact. These are:
Name: Fill in the name of the feed. This field is required.
Alias: This name is a shortened title of the feed, used when using SEF.
Published: Select Yes when you want the section to be published, and No when you do not want the section to be published.
Category: Choose the category you want this feed to belong to.
Linked to User: If this contact is to be linked to a registered user, select that user here.
Order: The order of the feed in the category. When creating a new feed, it will have the default setting of the last place. The order can be changed after the feed is saved.
Access Level: Choose who can view this contact's information.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
Save: Save the feed and return to the main screen of the News Feed Manager
Apply: Save the feed , but stay in the News Feed New or Edit screen.
Cancel: Go back to the main screen of the News Feed Manager, without saving the feed you edited or created.
Help: Open the Help Screen for the News Feed Manager: New/Edit. That is the same screen as this Help Screen.
Joomla! 1.0 did not have the alias field.
You will use the Contact Manager New/Edit when you want to add a contact, or edit an existing contact. Here you will find some of the reasons for the use of this screen.
- You want to create a new contact.
- You want to change the name or alias of a contact.
- You want to change the category of a contact.
- You want to change the user a contact links to.
- You want to change the order of a feed within it's category.
Points to Watch
- Name of the contact is required.
- Contact categories must be added before adding the contact.
- The Alias will be used in the URL when SEF is activated.
- The Alias should consist of lowercase letters, and no blank spaces are allowed. Use a hyphen (-) instead.
Contact categories are added using the Category Manager, but are not linked to sections.