From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 19:32, 27 April 2008 by Dextercowley
This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section
How to Access
Navigate to the Category Manager. To add a new Category, press the New icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Category, click on the Category title or click the Category's checkbox and then click on the Edit icon in the toolbar.
There is where you can add a new Category for a Section or edit an existing Category. Categories are used to organize the Articles within a Section. Sections and Categories allow you to display related Articles together on a page and to filter Articles in the Article Manager. All Articles are assigned either to a Category that you create or to the special Category called 'Uncategorized'.
- Title. The Title for this item. This may or may not display on the page, depending on the parameter values you choose.
Alias. The internal name of the item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. The Alias will be used in the URL when SEF is activated. Note: If the title consists of non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time, for example "2009-02-11-17-54-38".</translate>
- Published. Whether or not this item is published. Select Yes or No from the radio button group to set the Published state for this item.
- Section. Section for this Category. Select the Section from the drop-down list box. This is a required field.
- Order. The order this item will display in the Manager screen. Use the drop-down list box to change the Order. You can select 'First' or 'Last' to make this the first or last item. Or you can select an item from the list. In this case, the current item will be listed just after the item you select. Note that the Order can also be changed in the Manager screen.
- Access Level. Who has access to this item. Current options are:
- Public: Everyone has access
- Registered: Only registered users have access
- Special: Only users with author status or higher have access
- Enter the desired level using the drop-down list box.
- Image. Image for this Page. Image must be located in the folder "images/stories".
- Image Position. Position of the Image on the page. Select Left or Right from the drop-down list box.
- Description. The description for the item. Section and Category descriptions for Articles may be shown on web pages, depending on the parameter settings. These descriptions are entered using the same editor that is used for Articles. Note that Section and Category descriptions may not be edited from the front end.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
Save: Save the category and return to the main screen of the Category Manager
Apply: Save the category, but stay in the Category New or Edit screen.
Cancel: Go back to the main screen of the Category Manager, without saving the category you edited or created.
Help: Open the Help Screen for the Category Manager: New/Edit. That is the same screen as this Help Screen.
In Joomla! 1.0.x versions you were able to link a category to a menu item, while editing the category. The existing Menu links were also visible. This option is not available in Joomla! 1.5. You can make a new menu item to display a category in the Menu Manager. Also in Joomla! 1.0.x you could also set the MOSImage directory, which is not available in Joomla! 1.5. In Joomla! 1.0.x there was a Category Title and a Category Name to be filled in. In Joomla! 1.5 this is just one field; named Title. Last but not least; in Joomla! 1.5 you can set the alias for an article, used when SEF is activated. This option was not available in Joomla! 1.0.x.
You will use the Category Manager New/Edit when you want to add a new category, or edit an existing category. Here you will find some of the reasons for the use of this screen.
- You want to create a new category.
- You want to change the name or alias of a category.
- You want to change the order of a category.
- You want to change the access level of a category.
- You want to change the image and image position.
- You want to change the description of a category.
Points to Watch
- Title of the section is required.
- The Alias will be used in the URL when SEF is activated.
- The Alias should consist of lowercase letters, and no blank spaces are allowed. Use a hyphen (-) instead.
- When you did not fill in the Alias field, the category title (with lowercase letters) will be used as as the Alias.
When you add a new category, you will see this section in the Category Manager. When creating an article, you can select this category as a place to put the content. You can also create a new menu item; Category Blog Layout or Category List Layout. Within the parameters of this menu item you could select this specific category and set some other options.