From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 11:07, 4 May 2008 by Dextercowley
This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section
How to Access
Navigate to the the News Feed Manager. To add a new News Feed, click on the "New" icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing News Feed, click on the News Feed's Name, or check the News Feed's checkbox and press the "Edit" icon in the toolbar.
This is where you add a new News Feed or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one News Feed Category before you can create your first News Feed.
- Name The Name of the News Feed. This field is required.
- Alias. The internal name of the item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. The Alias will be used in the URL when SEF is activated. Note: If the title consists of non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time, for example "2009-02-11-17-54-38".
- Published. Whether or not this item is published. Select Yes or No from the radio button group to set the Published state for this item.
- Category. Category for this News Feed. Select from the drop-down list box of News Feed Categories. Note that News Feed Categories are separate from other Categories, such as those for Articles, Contacts, Banners, and Web Links.
- Link. The link to this News Feed. This should normally begin with "http://".
- Number of Articles. Enter the number of articles from the feed which will be available to your users. The default is 5.
- Cache Time. How long (in seconds) you want to save a copy of the News Feed on your server. The default value is 3600 seconds, which is 1 hour. When a News Feed is cached locally, your server only has to read the News Feed periodically -- for example, once per hour. The longer the cache time, the less network traffic you have, but the less up to date the News Feed is.
- Order. Indicates the order of this News Feed in the News Feed Manager. The default Order is to add the item to the end of the list. To select a different order, use the drop-down list box. This item will moved to the order position just after the item selected from the drop-down list. Note that the Order of News Feeds can also be changed in the News Feed Manager.
- RTL Feed. Check this box if the feed is right-to-left. This is for languages that read right-to-left.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Save it and return to editing the menu details.
- Apply. Save it, but stay in the same screen. If you have been working on a screen for a long time and don't want to risk losing your work, pressing Apply saves your work and lets you continue working. If, for example, you lost your Internet connection, your work will be saved up this point.
- Close. Return to the previous screen without saving your work. If you press Close while adding a new item, this new item will not be created. If you were modifying an existing item, the modifications will not be saved.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
- News Feed categories must be added before adding a News Feed in that Category.