How to access
Select Tools → Mass Mail from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation.
The Mass Mail screen allows Users who are members of the "Super Administrator" group to send an e-mail message to all Users who are members of a specific group.
- Mail to Child Groups. Whether or not to send the e-mail to to members of all child groups of the selected group. For example, if this box is checked and the group "Public Front-end" is selected, the e-mail would be sent to all members of the "Registered", "Author", "Editor", and "Publisher" groups.
- Send in HTML mode. Whether or not to send he email with headers that identify it as a HTML document. E-mail clients that support this will render any HTML codes.
- Group. Select the group you want to send the e-mail to.
- Recipients as BCC. Adds copy to site email. If checked, all recipients will be included as BCC entries, so none will see any of the other recipients' e-mail addresses. Because many mail routers treat e-mail without a To: entry as spam, the site email will be used for the To: entry.
- Subject Enter the Subject of the email. Try to make it as descriptive as possible. Any text entered in the Subject Prefix parameter (see Parameters below) will be prepended to (placed in front of) the subject you enter here.
- Message. Enter the body of the e-mail. Any text entered in the Mailbody Suffix parameter (see Parameters below) will be added to the text you enter here.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Send Mail Send the email and return to the main Mass Mail screen
- Cancel. Go back to the main screen of the Manager, without saving the modifications you made.
- Parameters. Click this button to open the Global Configuration window. This window allows you to set default parameters for this type of item. See Global Configuration.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
This pop-up screen is shown when the User clicks the 'Parameters' button on the Toolbar. Press the Save button to save any changes or Cancel to cancel any changes.
- Subject Prefix, Enter a prefix to be prepended to the Subject of every mass e-mail. This is intended to contain some site identifier, for example, the site name.
- Mailbody Suffix. Enter a suffix to be appended to the body of every mass email. This is intended to be used as a site signature.
Joomla! 1.0 did not have the option to encode recipients as BCC, nor did it have global configuration parameters.
You will use the Mass Mail when you want to send email to a large number of your site users at once. Here you will find some of the reasons for the use of this screen.
- You want to email all authors to let them know you have added a new article editor.
- You want to email all admins to let them know you have added a new site extension.
- You want to email all users to inform them of a planned outage.
Points to Watch
- Please use this screen judiciously - many people don't like receiving large amounts of unsolicited email.
Describe other screens that rely on the presence of this function or that this function relies upon, in order to work correctly for example: a Category depends upon the presence of a Section (up) and it must be in place before a Categorised Article (down) can be created. If there are no Dependencies either up or down for the particular screen just state None but do include the section. Use paragraph format type and do not add extra white space. Ensure that you use the correct styles for inline emphasis and notices. It will probably be sufficient to just list these and provide links to the Help Screens relating to the dependency.
Please remove this placeholder as soon as you start entering text here.