Components Banners Banners Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 18:58, 3 October 2010 by Jcutrone
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to add or edit banners which can be displayed on your Joomla! website.
How to Access
Navigate to the Banner Manager. To add a new Banner, click on the New icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Banner, click on the Banner's Name or check the Banner's checkbox and press the Edit icon in the toolbar.
- Name. The name of the Banner. This is the name that will display in the Name column of the Banner Manager.
- Alias. The internal name of the item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. The Alias will be used in the URL when SEF is activated.
- Category. The Category that this Banner belongs to. Select one from the drop-down list box of existing Banner Categories. Note that Banner Categories are separate from other Categories, such as those for Articles, Contacts, Newsfeeds, and Web Links.
- Type. The type of banner to display. Options are an image file or custom HTML code.
- State. The state of the banner. Options are Published, Unpublished, Archived and Trash.
- Custom Code (Only displayed for banner type Custom). The HTML code to insert in the place of a banner image file.
- Image (Only displayed for banner type Image). Image file to display for the banner. Specify the relative path to the banner image to use or click the Select button to browse and select the image file to use. Use the Media Manager to upload Banner image files to your site.
- Width (Only displayed for banner type Image). The fixed width to resize the banner image to. Leave this blank if you want to use the actual width of the banner image file.
- Height (Only displayed for banner type Image). The fixed height to resize the banner image to. Leave this blank if you want to use the actual height of the banner image file.
- Alternative Text (Only displayed for banner type Image). Text to display in place of the banner image in the event the image cannot be displayed.
- Click URL. The URL to navigate to when the User clicks on the Banner.
- Description. Optional field where you can type a description or some notes about the Banner. This is for your use and does not display on your website front-end pages.
- ID. The internal Joomla! ID number for the banner. This is not configurable.
- Created. The date the banner was created.
- Start Publishing. An optional date to automatically put the banner into a Published state.
- Finish Publishing. An optional date to automatically put the banner into an Unpublished state.
- Sticky. Whether or not the banner is 'sticky.
- Max. Impressions. The number of Impressions purchased for this Banner. Impressions are the number of times a Banner will be displayed on a page. Check the 'Unlimited' checkbox if an unlimited number of Impressions is allowed.
- Total Impressions. The number of times this Banner has been displayed on a web page to a user. No entry is allowed. You can reset this number to 0 by pressing the 'Reset impressions' button.
- Total Clicks. The number of times this Banner has been clicked. No entry is allowed. You can reset this number to 0 by pressing the 'Reset clicks' button.
- Client. The Client Name for this Banner. Select one from the drop-down list box of existing Clients.
- Purchase Type. The purchase type of the banner. This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner - monthly, yearly, etc...
- Track Impressions. Whether or not to track the number of times the banner is displayed to web site visitors.
- Track Clicks. Whether or not to track the number of times the banner is clicked by web site visitors.
- Meta Keywords. Optional keywords to be used for displaying specific banners based on the content of the article being viewed. If the banner module parameter 'Search By Keyword' is set to 'Yes', banners whose keywords match the keywords entered for each article will display when that article is being viewed.
- Use Own Prefix.
- Meta Keyword Prefix. When matching meta keywords, only search for meta keywords with these optional prefixes. This improves performance.
At the top right you will see the toolbar. Whether you selected to create a new banner or edit an existing one will determine what toolbar buttons will be available.
New banner toolbar:
Edit banner toolbar:
- Save. Save your changes and return to editing the banner details.
- Save & Close. Save your changes and return to the banner manager screen.
- Save & New. Save your changes and create a new banner.
- Save as Copy (Only available in the banner edit screen). Save your changes to a copy of the current banner.
- Apply. Save your changes but stay in the same screen. If you have been working on a screen for a long time and don't want to risk losing your work, pressing Apply saves your work and lets you continue working. If, for example, you lost your Internet connection, your work will be saved up to this point.
- Cancel (Only available in the new banner screen). Go back to the main screen of the banner manager without saving the modifications you made.
- Close (Only available in the banner edit screen). Go back to the main screen of the banner manager without saving the modifications you made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Banners are placed on specific pages by adding Modules of type 'Banners' using the Module Manager.
- If you have a series of Banners that you would like to display on one or more pages in random order:
- Create the Banners you wish to include, making sure they have the same Client and Category.
- Create a Banner Module for this Client and Category, and in the Menu Assignment pick the Menu Selections for the module to display on.
- In the Banner Module, set the 'Randomise' value to 'Sticky, Randomise'.
- With these settings, the different Banners for that Client and Category will display on the selected pages in random order.