| || |
*To create or Edit News Feeds: [[
screen.newsfeeds.edit.15|News Feeds Manager - New/Edit]] |+|
*To create or Edit News Feeds: [[|News Feeds Manager - New/Edit]]
*To work with News Feed Categories: [[
screen.newsfeedscategories.15|Category Manager (News Feeds)]] |+|
*To work with News Feed Categories: [[|Category Manager (News Feeds)]]
| || |
Revision as of 09:39, 8 June 2010
How to Access
Select Components → News Feeds → Feeds from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation, or select the "Feeds" link from the News Feeds Manager - Categories.
The News Feed Manager screen allows you to add and edit News Feeds from other sites to your Joomla! site. You can add links to these feeds for users by creating News Feed layouts in Menu Item Manager - New/Edit.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name or title of the feed. Make it as descriptive as possible.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Category. The Category this News Feed belongs to. See Category Manager - Edit (News Feeds). Note that News Feed Categories are separate from other Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, Contact, and Web Links.
- Ordering. The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon. Note that the display order on a page is set in the Parameters - Advanced section for each Menu Item. If that order is set to use something other than 'Order' (for example, 'Title - Alphabetical'), then the order value in this screen will be ignored. If the Menu Item Order parameter is set to use 'Order', then the items will display on the page based on the order in this screen.
- Access This column shows the Access Level assigned to the newsfeed.
- Feed Count The number of articles included in this feed.
- Cache Time. The number of seconds to cache the feed locally.
- Language The language used for this feed.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
At the top right you will see the following toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Click on this button to create a new item. You will enter the New page for this item.
- Edit. Select one item and click on this button to open it in edit mode. If you have more than one item selected (where applicable), the first item will be opened. You can also open an item for editing by clicking on its Title or Name.
- Publish. To publish one or more items, select them and click on this button.
- Unpublish. To unpublish one or more items, select them and click on this button.
- Archive. To change one or more Articles to Archived status, select them and press this button. Archived Articles are retained on the site and are available for viewing on Menu Items with a Type of Archive Layout. They can not be published to other pages while set to Archived status. Note that Articles assigned to the "Uncategorized" Section will not show on the Archived Article List layout.
- Check in (needs new 1.6 version)
- Trash. Select one or more Articles and click on this button to move them to the Trash Manager. Note that Articles can be restored from the Trash Manager as long as they are not permanently deleted. See Trash Manager for more information.
- Options Click this button to open the Global Configuration window. This window allows you to set default parameters for Articles. This default parameter will take effect if the corresponding Menu Item parameter and Article parameter are both set to 'Use Global'. See Global Configuration below.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Click on the Options button to open the News Feed Manager Options window. This window allows you to set default parameters for News Feeds, as shown below.
This tab has the following options:
- Feed Image. Hide or Show the image of the News Feed.
- Feed Description. Hide or Show the description text of the News Feed.
- Item Description. Hide or Show the Description/Intro Text of an item.
- Word Count. The maximum number of words to display in the Item Description. A value of 0 will display all of the text.
This tab has the following options:
- Table Headings. Hide or Show column headings above the fields for the item.
- Name Column. Hide or Show the Feed Name column.
- # Articles Column. Hide or Show the number of Articles in the News Feed.
- Link Column. Hide or Show the News Feed link.
- Category Description Hide or Show the Description for each Category.
- # Category Items. Hide or Show the number of Articles in each Category.
The "Permissions" tab, shown below, lets you specify who can perform each type of action:
The Permissions table contains various columns:
- User Groups. Lists the user groups that are available on your Joomla! site. You can specify permissions for each of these groups by using the dropdown controls in the other columns, which represents actions that can be performed by users.
- Admin. Grants users the right to edit this component's Options.
- Manage. Grants users the right to open this component's main screen ("Manager" screen).
- Create. Create new objects (for example, users, menu items, articles, weblinks, and so on).
- Delete. Delete existing objects.
- Edit. Edit existing objects.
- Edit State. Change object state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, Check In and Trash).
For each user group / action, possible permission options are:
- .... Represents the "Inherit" option, which means that the permission for this group/action is inherited from the site's Global Configuration.
- Deny. Denies this action for this users group.
- Allow. Allows this action for this users group and for child groups.
For more information, please refer to the ACL Tutorial for Joomla 1.6.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items either by entering in part of the title or the ID number.
If you have a large number of items on the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter either part of the title or an ID number and press 'Search' to display the matching items. You can enter in whole words or part of a word. For example, "ooml" will match all titles with the word "Joomla!" in them.
Filter by Access, State, Category and Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are 4 drop-down list boxes as shown below:
The selections may be combined. Only items matching both selections will display in the list.
- Select Access. Use the drop-down list box to select the access level.
- Select Status. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published, Unpublished, Trashed, or All. For Articles, you may also select Archived. Important: With the default setting of -Select Status-, the screen only shows Published and Unpublished items. If you have the filter set to -Select Status- and you change items to Trashed, the Trashed items will disappear from the screen. However, they have not been permanently deleted. To do that you need to:
- Change the filter to Trashed. The Delete icon will now show in the toolbar.
- Select the items you want to permanently delete.
- Click on the Delete icon.
- You can see all items, regardless of their published state, by selecting All for this filter. You can also re-publish Trashed items by selecting them and clicking on the Publish icon in the toolbar.
- Select Category. Use the drop-down list box to select the desired Category. Only items in this Category will display.
- Select Language. Use the drop-down list box to select the language.
- You need to add at least one Category for News Feeds before you add the first News Feed. Categories are added using the Category Manager by clicking on 'News Feeds', and then on 'Categories' in the 'Components' menu.