Difference between revisions of "Components Redirect Manager"
From Joomla! Documentation
|Line 19:||Line 19:|
Revision as of 13:33, 11 January 2011
Redirect Manager is a component that is accessed from the back-end of a Joomla! website. It is new to Joomla! 1.6 and its main function is to provide a mechanism to give an Administrator the ability to redirect a URL to a web page which no longer exists to a working web page. You must have the Use Apache mod_rewrite option enabled in your Joomla! installation Global Configuration options in order for the redirects you create to function.
How to access
- Select Components → Redirect from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
This component is primarily used for redirecting URLs for web pages that no longer exist on your website to web pages that are working. The URL you want to redirect from must not be a working one on your website which actually loads a web page. It can be the URL to a web page which you have disabled in the Joomla! back-end administrator interface. The Source URL you specify when you create the redirect should be the full URL as you would type it in your web browser. The component will only display the last portion of the source URL in the redirect listing. The Destination URL you specify when you create a redirect must be the full URL as well.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Expired URL.
- New URL.
- Referring Page.
- Created Date.
- Enabled. Whether or not the item is enabled. A green circle with a white check mark in it means it is enabled. A red circle with a white dot in it means it is disabled.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
Using modular templates; Toolbar_helpscreens
- In order for your redirects to work, you must enable the option Use Apache mod_rewrite in the Global Configuration options of your Joomla! installation. Note also that just enabling the 'Use Apache mod_rewrite' option is not enough. You must take the additional step of renaming the htaccess.txt file in the web site directory where you installed Joomla! to .htaccess or to whatever file name your Apache web server requires for additional configuration directives. In the Apache configuraiton file this setting is named 'AccessFileName' and by default this is set to '.htaccess'
- To create/edit a redirect: Redirect Manager: Link - Create/Edit