Difference between revisions of "Extensions Extension Manager Discover"
From Joomla! Documentation
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
Revision as of 20:34, 12 May 2010
How to Access
Select Extensions > Extension Manager from the drop-down menu in the Back-end of your Joomla! installation. Then click the Discover menu item in the Extension Manager screen that appears.
This screen allows you to discover extensions that have not gone through the normal installation process. This provides a method to install large extensions which are not possible to install using the normal process. For example, some extensions are too large in file size to upload using the web interface due to limitations of the web hosting environment. Using this feature you can upload extension files directly to your web server using some other means such as FTP or SFTP and place those extension files into the appropriate directory. You can then use the discover feature to find the newly uploaded extension and activate it in your Joomla! installation. Using the discover operation you can also discover and install multiple extensions at the same time.
- #. An indexing number automatically assigned by Joomla! for ease of reference.
- Name. The name of the extension.
- Extension Type. The extension type - module, plug-in, template, language.
- Version. The version number of the Extension.
- Date. The date this extension was released.
- Folder. ?
- Client. Specifies if this is a site or administrator extension.
- Author. The author of this extension.
- Id. ?
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Install. Installs the selected extension.
- Discover. Searches the Joomla! installation directories for uninstalled extensions. Any uninstalled extensions found will be displayed in the extension listing. Caches the search results so they continue to be displayed on subsequent visits to this screen.
- Purge cache. Purges the cache of uninstalled extensions that were discovered. This will clear the listing of uninstalled extensions listed in this screen.
- Options. Opens the configuration window for the Extension Manager. In this window you can set Extension Manager access permissions for each user group specified in your Joomla! installation.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Links to Other Screens At the top left, you will see the following five links:
- Install. Links to the Install Screen.
- Update. Links to the Update Screen.
- Manage. Links to the Manage Screen.
- Discover. Links to the Discover Screen.
- Warnings. Links to the Warnings Screen.
An extension can be installed with the discover function by doing the following steps:
- Upload the uncompressed extension files to the appropriate directory in your Joomla! installation. For example, if you wanted to upload a site template extension to your Joomla! installation you would create a directory for the template extension in the /templates sub-directory of your Joomla! installation. Then you would upload the template extension files into that directory you created.
- After you have uploaded the extension files, go back to the Extension Manager Discover screen and click the Discover item in the toolbar. This will initiate the search function which will search your Joomla! extension directories looking for uninstalled extensions.
- If the extension you uploaded is compatible with Joomla! 1.6 and is not already installed, it will appear in the listing of discovered extensions in this screen.
- Click the check-box to the left of the discovered extension and then click the Install item in the toolbar. This will install the extension into your Joomla! installation.
- If you have many extensions you want to install you can upload them all into the appropriate directories of your Joomla! installation and then use this screen to discover all of them in one operation. You can then install all of the extensions in one step by selecting all of them and pressing the Install item in the toolbar.