From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 19:05, 28 April 2013 by JoomlaWikiBot
- 1 How to access
- 2 Description
- 3 Articles
- 4 Category
- 5 Categories
- 6 Blog / Featured Layouts
- 7 List Layouts
- 8 Integration
- 9 Text Filters
- 10 Permissions
- 11 Toolbar
- 12 Quick Tips
- 13 Related information
How to access
Navigate to Content → Article Manager and click on the Options icon in the Toolbar.
This screen allows you to set global options for the Content (articles) component. This screen has 8 tabs: Articles, Categories, Category, Blog/Featured Layouts, List Layouts, Integration, Text Filters, and Permissions.
- Choose a layout. Select a layout to be used as the default layout for this component.
- Show Article Title. (No/Yes) Whether or not to show the title of the article.
- Title Linkable. (No/Yes) Whether or not the Title of the Article will be a hyperlink to the Article.
- Show Intro Text. (Hide/Show) Hide or Show an Article's Intro Text when the 'Read more...' link is selected. Intro Text is the part of the Article before a 'Read more...' break. If this parameter is 'Show', when the User selects the 'Read more...' link, the entire article will display, including the Intro Text. If this parameter is 'Hide', when the User selects the 'Read more...' link, only the part of the Article after the 'Read more...' link will display.
- Category Title. (Hide/Show) Whether or not the Category Title will display.
- Category Title Linkable. (No/Yes) Whether or not the Title of the Category will be a hyperlink to the Category page.
- Author Name. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to display the Author Name.
- Created Date and Time. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to display the date and time the Article was created.
- Modified Date and Time. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to display the date and time the Article was last modified.
- Show Navigation. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to show a navigation link (e.g., Next, Previous) between Articles.
- Read More... Link. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to show the "Read More..." link to link from the part of the Article before the "Read More..." break to the rest of the Article.
- Article Rating/Voting. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to display the Article Rating/Voting module.
- Icons. (Hide/Show) Whether the PDF, Print, and E-mail buttons for the Article will display as Icons or Text. If set to Hide, these buttons will display as Text ("PDF", "Print", and "E-mail"). If set to Show, they will display as Icons. Note that these buttons only display if the individual options are set to Show.
- PDF Icon. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to display a button to allow the Article to be rendered in a new window in PDF format. This allows the User to view, print, or save the Article as a PDF file.
- Print Icon. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to display a button to allow the Article to be printed. This allows the User to print the current Article in a printer-friendly format.
- E-mail Icon. (Hide/Show) Whether or not to display a button to allow a link to the Article to be e-mailed. This displays a form that allows the user to send an e-mail with a link to the current Article.
- Hits. The number of hits for an Article. A hit is the number of times a page has been viewed. Hits can be reset to 0 in the Article Manager - New/Edit screen.
- For each feed item show. (Intro Text/Full Text) If set to Intro Text, only the intro text of each article will show. If set to Full Text, the whole article will show in the newsfeed.
- Show Unauthorized Links. (No/Yes). Whether or not to show links to Articles that the User is not authorized to access. If set to No, Users will only see links to Articles that they may access. If set to Yes, every User will see all Article links, whether or not they can access them. In this case, a link to the User Login page will display below the Article Title.
Blog / Featured Layouts
The third tab is Permissions, shown below. These settings control what actions that members of each user group may take with respect to users.
- Groups. Permissions are set for one group at a time. Click on the desired group to open the slider for that group.
- Configure. Access the Options screen for a component.
- Access Component. Open the component manger screens (User Manager, Menu Manager, Article Manager, and so on).
- Create. Create an object in the component (for example, create a user, article, contact, and so on).
- Delete. Delete an object in the component (for example, delete a user, article, contact, and so on).
- Edit. Edit an object in the component (for example, edit a user, article, contact, and so on).
- Edit State. Change the published state of an object in the component. Normal states include Published, Unpublished, Archived, and Trashed.
- Edit Own. Edit component objects created by you. This is the same as the Edit action except that it only applies to objects created by the current user.
Select New Setting
The Select New Setting Options as as follows:
- Inherited. Inherited from a parent group or a higher level in the component hierarchy. Can result in this action being allowed or not allowed for this group, depending on what permission is set at a higher level in the group/component hierarchy.
- Allowed. This action is allowed for this group.
- Allowed - Conflict. This group is given Allowed permission for this action. However, this permission is overridden by a Denied permission at a higher level in the group/component hierarchy. So this group does not have permission for this action and will show as Not Allowed in the calculated Setting column.
- Denied. This action is denied for this group. This will also deny this action for any groups or components at a lower level in the group/component hierarchy.
Important Note: The Calculated Settings column is only updated after you press the Save button. If you make changes to the permissions settings, press the Save button to see the updated Calculated settings.
The following values may be shown in the Calculated Settings column.
- Allowed. This action is allowed for this group. This is because the action has been allowed at this level or at a higher level in the component/group hierarchy.
- Not Allowed. This action is not allowed for this group. This is because the action has not been allowed anywhere in the component/group hierarchy. This setting can be overridden.
- Not Allowed (Locked). This action is not allowed for this group. This is because the action has been denied at this level or a higher level in the component/group hierarchy. This setting can not be overridden at this level or for any lower level in the component/group hierarchy.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Save & Close. Saves any changes and returns you to the main screen.
- Save. Saves any changes and keeps the current screen open. Note, do this to see the effect of changes you have made in the screen.
- Cancel. Does not save any changes and returns you to the main screen.
- In the Permissions tab, click on Save to update the Calculated Setting column.