From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 19:09, 28 April 2013 by JoomlaWikiBot
How to access
From the administrator area, select Users → Groups from the drop-down menu of the Administration screen, or click on the User Manager icon in the Control Panel and select the User Groups tab.
User Groups control what actions a user may take on the site and which objects a user can view. This screen allows you to create, view, edit, and delete User Groups.
In the table containing the users from your Joomla! site, you will see different columns. Here you can read what they mean and what is displayed in that column.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Group Title. The name of the group.
- Users in Group. The number of users in this group.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- Display #. This list box shows at the bottom of the screen, below the list of items. You can select the number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Creates a new item and opens the editing screen for this item.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected item. If more than one item is selected (where applicable), only the first item will be opened. An item can also be opened for editing by clicking on its Title or Name.
- Delete. To delete one or more groups, select them and click this button. The selected groups will be deleted. If you delete a group that has users assigned to it, those users will lose the permissions they had from that group. It is recommended to remove all users from a group before you delete the group.
- Options. Opens the Options window where default settings for Users can be edited. See Users Options.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Filter by Partial User Name
- Search User Groups. In the upper left is a Search field and two buttons, as shown below.
Enter part of the group's name and press the Search to find matching names. Press Reset to clear the search field and restore the list of groups.
- Click on the name of a group to edit the group's properties.