Difference between revisions of "Components Contacts Categories"
From Joomla! Documentation
m (→Related Information: categorizing)
m (→Related Information: categorizing)
|Line 79:||Line 79:|
Revision as of 14:50, 29 July 2012
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to manage contact categories in your Joomla! website.
How to Access
- Select Components → Contacts → Categories from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel. You can also select the 'Categories' menu link from the Contact Manager: Contacts screen.
The Contact Category Manager is where you can edit existing Contact Categories and create new ones. Note that Contact Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Banners, News Feeds, and Web Links. From this screen, you can also navigate to the Contact Manager: Contacts screen.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Ordering. The order in which to display items. You can sort the list by order number by clicking on the Ordering label in the column heading. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon. This is shown in the screen below.
- Access. The viewing level access for this item.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items by typing in part of the Title or the ID number.
Filter by Max Levels. State, Access and Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are four drop-down list boxes as shown below:
Number of Items to Display
Below the list you'll find:
Below the list of categories is the batch processing section:
- Set Access Level. Use this drop-down list to select an access level.
- Set Language. Use this drop-down list to select a language.
- Select Category for Move/Copy. Use this drop-down list to select a category to move or copy the selected categories to. Use the radio button to select either a move or copy operation.
- Process. Press this button to execute your batch processing settings for the selected categories.
- Clear. Reset your batch processing settings selections.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new contact category.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected contact category. If more than one contact category is selected (where applicable), only the first contact category will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the contact category.
- Publish. Makes the selected contact categories available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected contact categories unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected contact categories to indicate that they are archived. Archived contact categories can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the contact categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In. Checks-in the selected contact categories. Works with one or multiple contact categories selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected contact categories to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed contact categories can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the contact categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed contact categories, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the contact categories to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the contact category table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters or permissions can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
At the top left, above the Filter, you will see the following two links:
- Contacts. Click this link to go to the Contact Manager: Contacts screen.
- Categories. This link takes you to the screen you are currently on.