Difference between revisions of "Components Newsfeeds Categories"
From Joomla! Documentation
|(3 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
|Line 35:||Line 35:|
'''Filter by Partial Title'''
'''Filter by Partial Title '''
Revision as of 20:26, 17 March 2013
Components Help Screens
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to add or edit newsfeed categories.
How to Access
Select Components → News Feeds → Categories from the drop-down menu in the back-end of your Joomla! installation. You can also select the 'Categories' tab in the News Feed Manager.
News Feed Categories allow you to categorize different website feeds entering your site for better organization.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name or title of the feed. Make it as descriptive as possible.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Ordering. The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon. Note that the display order on a page is set in the Parameters - Advanced section for each Menu Item. If that order is set to use something other than 'Order' (for example, 'Title - Alphabetical'), then the order value in this screen will be ignored. If the Menu Item Order parameter is set to use 'Order', then the items will display on the page based on the order in this screen.
- Access. This column shows the Access Level assigned to the news feed.
- Language. The language used for this feed category.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
At the top right you will see the following toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new newsfeed category.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected newsfeed category. If more than one newsfeed category is selected (where applicable), only the first newsfeed category will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the newsfeed category.
- Publish. Makes the selected newsfeed categories available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected newsfeed categories unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected newsfeed categories to indicate that they are archived. Archived newsfeed categories can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the newsfeed categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In. Checks-in the selected newsfeed categories. Works with one or multiple newsfeed categories selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected newsfeed categories to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed newsfeed categories can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the newsfeed categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed newsfeed categories, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the newsfeed categories to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the newsfeed category table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters or permissions can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Click on the Options button to open the News Feed Manager Options window. This window allows you to set default parameters for News Feeds, as shown below.
Buttons Common to All Tabs
- Save. Saves the newsfeed options and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the newsfeed options and closes the current screen.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
This tab has the following options:
- Feed Layout: Allows users to set the specific content layout for newsfeed items.
- Feed Image. Hide or Show the image of the News Feed.
- Feed Description. Hide or Show the description text of the News Feed.
- Feed Content: Allows the user to show or hide the content in the newsfeed.
- Characters Count: Allows users to define how many text characters are shown.
This tab has the following options:
- Choose a Layout: Allows users to set the default content item layout for newsfeed articles.
- Category Title: Can Show or Hide the Category Title for the newsfeed items.
- Category Description: Can Show or Hide the Category Description for newsfeed items.
- Category Image: Can Show or Hide the Category Image for the newsfeed items.
- Subcategory Levels: Can set how many sub-category levels will be displayed in the newsfeed.
- Empty Categories: Can Show or Hide empty categories (categories with no active articles in them).
- Subcategories Descriptions: Can Show or Hide the Description for Subcategories in the newsfeed.
- # of Feeds in Category: Can Show or Hide the number of categories in the newsfeed.
NOTE:These options can be modified on a per-menu-item basis.
This tab has the following options:
- Top Level Category Desctription: Can Show or Hide the description for the top level category shown in the newsfeed. This may be changed in the menu item configuration window for specific menu items.
- Subcategory Levels: Can determine how many subcategory levels to display.
- Empty Categories: Can Show or Hide Empty Categories. (Categories with no active content articles in them)
- Subcategories Descriptions: Can Show or Hide Subcategory Descriptions.
- # of Feeds in Category: Can show or Hide the number of newsfeeds in each category.
NOTE: These options may be changed on a per-menu-item basis.
The following options are available for this tab:
- Display Select: (Show/Hide) Can Show or Hide the Select dropdown listbox.
- Table Headings: (Show/Hide) Can Show or Hide the headings in list layouts.
- # Articles: Can Show or Hide the number of articles in each newsfeed.
- Feed Links: Can Show or Hide a link to each feed.
- Pagination: Can Show or Hide Pagination Options. Pagination allows additional content to be displayed on subsequent pages. This may be useful if your content will not easily fit on one page.
- Pagination Results: Can show the number of pages of newsfeed content. This option is only viewed if the Pagination option is turned on. An example would be Page 1 of 4.
NOTE: These options may be changed on a per-menu-item basis.
This screen allows you to set the component permissions in Joomla. This is important to consider if you have sites with many different user categories all of whom need to have different accessibilities to the component. The screenshot below describes what you should see and the text below that describes what each permission level gives the user access to:
You work on one Group at a time by opening the slider for that group. You change the permissions in the Select New Settings drop-down list boxes. The options for each value are Inherited, Allowed, or Denied. The Calculated Setting column shows you the setting in effect. It is either Not Allowed (the default), Allowed, or Denied. Note that the Calculated Setting column is not updated until you press the Save button in the toolbar. To check that the settings are what you want, press the Save button and check the Calculated Settings column.
The default values used here are the ones set in the Global Configuration Permissions Tab
- Open the newsfeed component option screens (the modal window these options are in)
- Access Administration Interface
- Open the newsfeed component manger screens
- Create new newsfeeds in the component
- Delete existing newsfeeds in the component
- Edit existing newsfeeds in the component
- Edit State
- Change an newsfeeds state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, and Trash) in the component.
- Edit Own
- Edit existing newsfeeds in the component that the logged in user has created.
There are two very important points to understand from this screen. The first is to see how the permissions can be inherited from the parent Group. The second is to see how you can control the default permissions by Group and by Action. This provides a lot of flexibility. For example, if you wanted Shop Suppliers to be able to have the ability to create an article about their product, you could just change their Create value to "Allowed". If you wanted to not allow members of Administrator group to delete objects or change their state, you would change their permissions in these columns to Inherited (or Denied). It is also important to understand that the ability to have child groups is completely optional. It allows you to save some time when setting up new groups. However, if you like, you can set up all groups to have Public as the parent and not inherit any permissions from a parent group.
Filter by Partial Title or ID
- Filter by Partial Title or ID. In the upper left is a filter field and two buttons, as shown below.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Filter by Max Levels, State, Access or Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are four drop-down boxes as shown below:
Only items matching the selected Max Levels, State, Access and/or Language will display in the list.
- Filter by Max Levels (Category Level). Lets you show only items whose category is at or above the specified level in the category hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all items regardless of level of their assigned category.
- 1: Only show items whose category is at the top level in the category hierarchy (in other words, with categories whose parent category is "- No Parent -".)
- 2-10: Only show items whose category is in the top 2-10 levels in the category hierarchy.
- Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
- Filter by Viewing Access Level. Lets you show only items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Access -: Show items with any viewing access level.
- <your access level>: Show items only with this viewing access level.
- Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Language - or All: Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
- Page Controls. When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below.
- Display #: Select the number of items to show on one page.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
Batch process the selected categories
Below the list of categories is the batch processing section:
- Set Access Level. Use this drop-down list to select an access level.
- Set Language. Use this drop-down list to select a language.
- Select Category for Move/Copy. Use this drop-down list to select a category to move or copy the selected categories to. Use the radio button to select either a move or copy operation.
- Process. Press this button to execute your batch processing settings for the selected categories.
- Clear. Reset your batch processing settings selections.