This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to add or edit newsfeed categories.
How to Access
Select Components → News Feeds → Categories from the drop-down menu in the back-end of your Joomla! installation. You can also select the 'Categories' tab in the News Feed Manager.
News Feed Categories allow you to categorize different website feeds entering your site for better organization.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name or title of the feed. Make it as descriptive as possible.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Ordering. The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon. Note that the display order on a page is set in the Parameters - Advanced section for each Menu Item. If that order is set to use something other than 'Order' (for example, 'Title - Alphabetical'), then the order value in this screen will be ignored. If the Menu Item Order parameter is set to use 'Order', then the items will display on the page based on the order in this screen.
- Access. This column shows the Access Level assigned to the news feed.
- Language. The language used for this feed category.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
At the top right you will see the following toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new newsfeed category.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected newsfeed category. If more than one newsfeed category is selected (where applicable), only the first newsfeed category will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the newsfeed category.
- Publish. Makes the selected newsfeed categories available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected newsfeed categories unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected newsfeed categories to indicate that they are archived. Archived newsfeed categories can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the newsfeed categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In. Checks-in the selected newsfeed categories. Works with one or multiple newsfeed categories selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected newsfeed categories to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed newsfeed categories can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the newsfeed categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed newsfeed categories, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the newsfeed categories to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the newsfeed category table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters or permissions can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items either by typing part of the title or the ID number.
If you have a large number of items on the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter either part of the title or an ID number and press 'Search' to display the matching items. You can enter in whole words or part of a word. For example, "ooml" will match all titles with the word "Joomla!" in them.
Filter by Access, State, and Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are 4 drop-down list boxes as shown below:
The selections may be combined. Only items matching both selections will display in the list.
- Select Access. Use the drop-down list box to select the access level.
- Select Status. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published, Unpublished, Trashed, or All. For Articles, you may also select Archived. Important: With the default setting of -Select Status-, the screen only shows Published and Unpublished items. If you have the filter set to -Select Status- and you change items to Trashed, the Trashed items will disappear from the screen. However, they have not been permanently deleted. To do that you need to:
- Change the filter to Trashed. The Delete icon will now show in the toolbar.
- Select the items you want to permanently delete.
- Click on the Delete icon.
- You can see all items, regardless of their published state, by selecting All for this filter. You can also re-publish Trashed items by selecting them and clicking on the Publish icon in the toolbar.
- Select Language. Use the drop-down list box to select the language.