Extensions Template Manager Templates Edit Source
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 15:55, 18 March 2013 by Wilsonge
This page is tagged because it NEEDS IMAGES. You can help the Joomla! Documentation Wiki by contributing to it.
More pages that need help similar to this one are here. NOTE-If you feel the need is satistified, please remove this notice.
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to edit the source code of template files.
How to Access
Navigate to the Template Manager: Customise Template screen. Click on the name of the template you want to edit. Then click the link to the template file that you want to edit.
This screen is where the source code of template files is edited. It provides a plain text interface to edit the template files. HTML and PHP programming syntax is highlighted to make the source code files easier to read.
Details and Options
- Source Code. The contents of the selected template file is displayed and editible here.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the template source file and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the template source file and closes the current screen.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Important: Do not delete the default template files using FTP because it generates an error in both the front-end and back-end.
- Before editing the HTML and the CSS file of the template, it is a good idea to make a backup of the file you are editing. Also, you can edit these files outside of Joomla! using the HTML or CSS editor of your choice.
- To install templates: Extension Manager: Install