Menus Menu Item Search Results
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 04:10, 20 February 2013 by Wilsonge
This page is tagged because it NEEDS IMAGES. You can help the Joomla! Documentation Wiki by contributing to it.
More pages that need help similar to this one are here. NOTE-If you feel the need is satistified, please remove this notice.
How To Access
To create a new Search Form or Search Results Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click New to create a new menu item or click on an existing item to edit.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the Search Form or Search Results link under Search.
To edit an existing Search Form or Search Results Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to create a 'Search Form' page for users to search site's content. Additional, used to control output look of search results or 'can' the results of a search with a menu link for preset search term or terms.
Optional Search Term
- Search Term. Optional, used to set a 'canned' search word, words or phrase when Menu Item Search Results is clicked.
See Quick Tips for more details.
- Use Search Areas. (Global/No/Yes) Check boxes for search area types: Articles, Categories, Contacts, Newsfeeds, or Weblinks.
- Created Date. The date the item was created.
- Search for. (All Words/Any Words/Exact Phrase) Set the type of search. Search for All Words, Any Words or Exact Phrase.
- Results ordering. Set the search results ordering.
- Newest. Show newest item first.
- Oldest. Show oldest item first.
- Popularity. Show by popularity of item, number of page hits.
- Alphabetical. Show in alphabetical order.
- Category. Show in category order.
See Menu Item Manager: New Menu Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types, including Details, Link Type Options, Page Display Options, Metadata Options, and Module Assignments for this Menu Item.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Front End Screenshot
Example Front End Site images are generic images using Joomla! core installation supplied free Front End Templates. The actual view can depend on the installed custom template used and the template's style for those views on a Joomla! website. Search form shown:
Search results shown:
- Canning Search Results. To 'can' search results (force a desired search term), use the Search Term optional setting. This optional field will force a search term or terms into the search field when a user clicks on a Menu 'Link' to a 'Search Results' Menu Item. For example, a user clicks a Menu Item called, 'More Joomla! Articles'. The search term field could contain the word, Joomla!. The filled optional field would show the search component page with the word Joomla! pre-filled in the search field and showing the results of 'Joomla!' searched on the website.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Finder Manage Search Filters||
This screen shows the static search filters currently available for use in Smart Search.
|Components Finder Manage Search Filters Edit||
This screen allows you to create a new search filter or amend an existing one.
The Search Statistics screen allows you to see how many searches were done for each keyword combination and how many results were returned for each search.
|Extensions Module Manager Search||
This Module displays a Search entry field where the user can type in a phrase and press Enter to search the web site.
|Extensions Module Manager Smart Search||
This Module displays a Smart Search entry field where the user can type in a phrase and press Enter to search the web site.
|Menus Menu Item Finder Search||
Used to create a page for Smart Search Results, which can be used in conjunction with a Smart Search module to control Search Results Page's layout. Ability to 'can' Smart Search results to specific filters to control a search.