| || |
Latest revision as of 04:18, 1 March 2013
How to access
You can access the Notes Category Manager by clicking on the 'User Note Categories' item in the Users menu in the back-end.
This screen allows you to look at a list of your user note categories and sort them in different ways. You can also edit and create user note categories and access levels.
In the table containing the user note categories from your Joomla! site, you will see different columns. Here you can read what they mean and what is displayed in that column.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. The list will be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon will show next to the column name, as shown below.
Click a second time to reverse the sort to high-to-low. The sort icon will change to high-to-low, as shown below.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Archived/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Ordering. The order in which to display items. You can sort the list by order number by clicking on the Ordering label in the column heading. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon. This is shown in the screen below.
Note that the ordering is only defined within a single category. For this reason, it is easier to re-order the list if you use the Category filter to select one category.
- Access. The viewing level access for this item.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new note category.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected note category. If more than one note category is selected (where applicable), only the first note category will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the note category.
- Publish. Makes the selected note categories available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected note categories unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected note categories to indicate that they are archived. Archived note categories can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the note categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In. Checks-in the selected note categories. Works with one or multiple note categories selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected note categories to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed note categories can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the note categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed note categories, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the note categories to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the relevant table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters or permissions can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Click the Options button to open the User Manager Options window which lets you configure this component.
Buttons Common to All Tabs
- Save. Saves the user options and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the user options and closes the current screen.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Allow User Registration. (Yes/No) If set Yes, users can register from the front end of the site using the Create an Account link provided on the Login module. If set to No, the "Create and Account" link will not show.
- New User Registration Group. The group that users are assigned to by default when they register on the site. Defaults to Registered.
- Guest User Group. The group that guests are assigned to. (Guests are visitors to the site who are not logged in.) This is set to Public by default. If you change this to a different group, it is possible to create content on the site that is visible to guests but not visible to logged in users. See Allowing Guest-Only Access to Menu Items and Modules.
- Send Password. If set to yes the user will be emailed their password on the registration email. Note there are potential security issues if this is set to yes.
- New User Account Activation.
- None. User account will be active immediately with no action required.
- Self. User will receive an email with an activation link. The account will be activated when the user clicks the activation link.
- Admin. User will receive an email with an activation link. When the user clicks this link, the Site Admin will be notified via email and the Site Admin needs to activate the user's account.
- Notification Mail to Administrators. (Yes/No) Send email notification to administrators with User Account Activation.
- Captcha. Use Captcha for User Account Registration and Username or User Password reminders.
- Frontend User Parameters. (Show/Hide) If set to Show, users will be able to modify their language, editor, and help site preferences from the front end of the site. If set to Hide, the user will not be able to change these settings.
- Frontend Language. (Show/Hide) Show or hide the option for users to set their default site language.
- Change Login Name. (Yes/No) Allow user to change Login Name.
- Maximum Reset Count. (0-20) Maximum number of reset password attempts per Time in Hours. Zero means no limit on reset password attempts.
- Time in Hours. (1-24) Time period in hours for the Maximum Reset Count.
- Subject Prefix. Enter optional text to be inserted automatically before the subject of the mass email.
- Mailbody Suffix. Enter optional text to be inserted automatically after the body of the email (for example, a signature).
This screen allows you to set the component permissions in Joomla. This is important to consider if you have sites with many different user categories all of whom need to have different accessibilities to the component. The screenshot below describes what you should see and the text below that describes what each permission level gives the user access to:
You work on one Group at a time by opening the slider for that group. You change the permissions in the Select New Settings drop-down list boxes. The options for each value are Inherited, Allowed, or Denied. The Calculated Setting column shows you the setting in effect. It is either Not Allowed (the default), Allowed, or Denied. Note that the Calculated Setting column is not updated until you press the Save button in the toolbar. To check that the settings are what you want, press the Save button and check the Calculated Settings column.
The default values used here are the ones set in the Global Configuration Permissions Tab
- Open the users component option screens (the modal window these options are in)
- Access Administration Interface
- Open the users component manger screens
- Create new users in the component
- Delete existing users in the component
- Edit existing users in the component
- Edit State
- Change an users state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, and Trash) in the component.
There are two very important points to understand from this screen. The first is to see how the permissions can be inherited from the parent Group. The second is to see how you can control the default permissions by Group and by Action. This provides a lot of flexibility. For example, if you wanted Shop Suppliers to be able to have the ability to create an article about their product, you could just change their Create value to "Allowed". If you wanted to not allow members of Administrator group to delete objects or change their state, you would change their permissions in these columns to Inherited (or Denied). It is also important to understand that the ability to have child groups is completely optional. It allows you to save some time when setting up new groups. However, if you like, you can set up all groups to have Public as the parent and not inherit any permissions from a parent group.
Above the column headers are a series of controls that let you limit what items show in the user note category manager screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only items that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
- Filter by Partial Title or ID. In the upper left is a filter field and two buttons, as shown below.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Filter by Max Levels (Category Level). Lets you show only items whose category is at or above the specified level in the category hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all items regardless of level of their assigned category.
- 1: Only show items whose category is at the top level in the category hierarchy (in other words, with categories whose parent category is "- No Parent -".)
- 2-10: Only show items whose category is in the top 2-10 levels in the category hierarchy.
- Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
- Filter by Viewing Access Level. Lets you show only items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Access -: Show items with any viewing access level.
- <your access level>: Show items only with this viewing access level.
- Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Language - or All: Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
- Page Controls. When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below.
- Display #: Select the number of items to show on one page.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
This section allows you to change settings for a group of selected items. The fields are as shown below.
You can change one value or all three values at one time. Note that if you copy items to a new category, changes you have selected fro access level and language will be applied to the copies, not the original.
To batch process a group of items:
- Select one or more items on the list by checking the desired check boxes.
- Set one or more of the following values:
- To change the access levels, select the desired new access level from the Set Access Level list box.
- To change the Language, select the desired language from the Set Language list box.
- To change the Category, select a category. To leave the category unchanged, use the default value of "Select".
- To copy the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Copy option. In this case, the original items are unchanged and the copies are assigned to the new category and, if selected, the new access level and language.
- To move the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Move option. In this case, the original items will be moved to a new category and, if selected, be assigned the new access level and language.
- When all of the settings are entered, click on Process to perform the changes. A message "Batch process completed successfully." will show.
Note that nothing will happen if you (a) don't have any items selected or (b) have not selected an access level, language, or category.
If you wish to clear your entered selections, click on the Clear button. This will return all of the Batch controls to their default values. Note that this does not uncheck the check boxes for the items.
User Note Category