Extensions Module Manager Who Online
From Joomla! Documentation
Who's Online Module
How to Access
To add the Wrapper module, go to your site back-end. Using the top menu, go to Extensions -> module manager and select "new". Then, select "Who's Online.
To manage an existing Wrapper module, open the module from the Module list.
The "Who's Online" module displays information about users that are visiting your site at a particular moment.
For screenshots of the back-end, refer to the "Options" section.
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the module and stays in the current screen.</translate>
- Save & Close. Saves the module and closes the current screen.</translate>
- Save & New. Saves the module and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another module.</translate>
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current module. Does not affect the current module. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new module.</translate>
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.</translate>
- Help. Opens this help screen.</translate>
- # of Guests / Members. Display the total number of Guests (Users who are not logged in) and Members (Users who are logged in).
- Member Names. Display a list of the names of Members logged in. No count of Guests will display.
- Both. A count of users and a list of Member Names will both display.
- Link Choose wether or not the module should link to user date. Only applies to registered guest, when Display is set to "Member Names" or "Both"
- Profile Link to the user's profile page
- Contact Link to the user's associated contact page
- Alternative Layout Allows you to select an alternative lay-out or template override for the module, if available.
- Module Class Suffix. A suffix applied to the CSS class of the Module. This allows you to create customized CSS styles that will apply just to this module. You would then modify the "template.css" file of your template to apply styling to this new class.
- Enter this parameter with a leading space to create a new CSS class for this module. Enter the parameter without a leading space to change the CSS class name for this module.
- See the tutorial Using Class Suffixes in Joomla! 1.5/1.6 for more information.
- Caching Always set to No caching, or the module will display incorrect data
- Most people prefer not to use the "Who's Online" module when they have few visitors.
- If you set the cache time for this module too long, the number of visitors shown will be incorrect as the module takes users into account that visited your site x minutes ago.