Components Fields Field Groups
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 09:37, 26 March 2022 by Franz.wohlkoenig
Provides an overview of the Field Groups available on a Joomla site. The screen is used to find, add, edit and delete Field Groups.
How to Access
To add new Field Groups for articles, contacts or users, navigate to the backend of the site and perform one of these actions:
- Click the Articles button in the Control Panel
- Select Field Groups in the left sidebar.
- Select Content → Field Groups from the dropdown menu of the Administrator Panel.
- Select Components → Contacts from the dropdown menu of the Administrator Panel
- Select Field Groups in the left sidebar.
- Click the Users button in the Control Panel
- Select Field Groups in the left sidebar.
- Select Users → Field Groups from the dropdown menu of the Administrator Panel.
In the table containing Field Groups these are the different columns as shown below. Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Ordering. Up-Down Arrows. User specified ordering, default is order of field groups creation. When active, drag and drop ordering by 'click and hold' on the bars icon then 'release' in desired position.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more field groups. To select all field groups, check the box in the column heading.Note: Many toolbar actions can work with multiple field groups.
- Status. Published or Unpublished field groups are shown. Click on the green check mark or the red circle in the Status column to toggle between Published and Unpublished.
- Title. The name of the field group. You can open the field group for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this field group.
- Language. Field group's language. If you are not using the multi-language feature of Joomla, default is 'All'.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this field group assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the field group internally, and you cannot change this number.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 dropdown input fields, Sort Table By: (preset to 'Ordering ascending') and a number (preset to '20') to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the dropdown field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon (up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Ordering ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- Number of field groups to display. Shows the number of field groups to display on one page, default is 20 field groups. If there are more field groups than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons to navigate between pages.
The List Filters are a series of controls that let you limit what field groups show in the screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only field groups that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
Filter by content type
- Articles/Category. The content type where the field group is used. Note: In Contacts the content types are Contact, Mail, and Category.
Filter by Partial Title or ID
In the upper left is a search field and 2 buttons.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click 'Search'
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:29").
- Click 'Clear' to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Above the column headings, there are 3 dropdown list boxes.
Filter by Status
Lets you show only field groups with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Show only field groups that are Published and Unpublished.
- Trashed: Show only field groups that are Trashed. Quick Tip: Permanently delete field groups
- Unpublished: Show only field groups that are Unpublished.
- Published: Show only field groups that are Published.
- Archived: Show only field groups that are Archived.
- All: Show all field groups regardless of published status.
Filter by Access
Lets you show only field groups that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site.
- - Select Access -: Show field groups with any viewing access level.
- Public: Show only field groups with this viewing access level.
- Guest: Show only field groups with this viewing access level.
- Registered: Show only field groups with this viewing access level.
- Special: Show only field groups with this viewing access level.
- Super Users: Show only field groups with this viewing access level.
Filter by Language
Lets you show only field groups that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site.
- - Select Language -: Show field groups for any language.
- All: Show field groups set for 'All' languages.
- English (en-GB): Show field groups only for this language.
Page Controls. When the number of field groups is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top left you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new field group.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected field group. If more than one field group is selected (where applicable), only the first field group will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the field group.
- Publish. Makes the selected field group available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected field group unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected field group to indicate that they are archived. Archived field group can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the field group to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-in. Checks-in the selected field group. Works with one or multiple field group selected.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected field group. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected field group to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed field group can still be recovered by selecting 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter and changing the status of the field group to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed field group, select 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter, select the field group to be permanently deleted, then click the 'Empty Trash' toolbar icon.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
The Batch Process allows a change in settings for a group of selected field groups marked with a check-mark in the corresponding check-mark boxes. To use: select one or more field groups form the table of field groups being viewed and click on the 'Batch' Toolbar button. This will open a pop up window as shown below.
You can change one value or all values at one time.
How to Batch Process a group of field groups:
- Select one or more field groups on the list by selecting the desired checkbox(es).
- Click the 'Batch' Toolbar button.
- Set one or more of the following values:
- To change the Language, select the desired language from the Set Language list box.
- To change the Access Levels, select the desired new access level from the Set Access Level list box.
When all of the settings are entered, click on Process to perform the changes. A message "Batch process completed successfully." will show. Note: Nothing will happen if you don't have any field groups selected.
If you wish to clear your entered selections, click on the 'Cancel' button. Note: This does not uncheck the check boxes for the field groups.
- To permanently delete field groups:
- Change the status of the field groups to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed field groups will show and the Empty trash button will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed field groups and click on Empty trash in the toolbar. The field groups will be permanently deleted.
- If you want to know how to use Custom Fields, click Adding Custom Fields