Extensions Template Manager Templates Edit Source
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 05:43, 2 February 2022 by Franz.wohlkoenig (Marked this version for translation)
This is where you can
- Edit an existing template's source code.
This screen is where the source code of template files is edited. It provides a plain text interface to edit the template files. HTML and PHP programming syntax is highlighted to make the source code files easier to read.
How to Access
- Click the link to the template file that you want to edit.
- Source Code. The contents of the selected template file is displayed and editible here.
Click on a component and you'll get all the possibilities inside that one component.
At the top left you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the current screen.
- Copy Template. Copy template by using a new template name.
- Template Preview. Open a window showing frontend startpage.
- Manage Folders. Create or delete folders.
- New File. Create different file types, upload or copy files.
- Rename File. Rename selected file.
- Delete File. Delete selected file.
- Close File. Close open file.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Important: Do not delete the default template files using FTP because it generates an error in both the Frontend and Backend.
- Before editing the HTML and the CSS file of the template, it is a good idea to make a backup of the file you are editing. Also, you can edit these files outside of Joomla using the HTML or CSS editor of your choice.