Components Banners Banners Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 08:37, 7 January 2013 by Tom Hutchison
Components Help Screens
How to Access
To 'add' a new Banner or 'edit' an existing Banner, navigate to the Banner Manager:
- Select Components → Banners
Click the 'New' button to create a new Banner.
To 'Edit' an existing Banner, in Banner Manager click on an Banner's Title or click the Banner's check box and then click the Edit button in the Toolbar.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Sticky. (Yes or No) Whether or not the Banner is "sticky". If one or more Banners in a Category are designated "sticky," they will take priority over Banners that are not sticky.
- For example, if two Banners in a Category are sticky and a third Banner is not sticky, the third Banner will not display if the Banner display module setting is "Sticky, Randomize" or "Sticky, Order." Only the two sticky Banners will display. If the sticky banners have a fixed number of impressions, once those impressions are used up, the sticky banners will no longer display, and the non-sticky banners will begin displaying automatically.
- Language. Item language.
- Name. The name of the Banner. This is the name that will display in the Name column of the Banner Manager.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when SEF is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Non-Latin characters can be allowed in the alias if you set the Unicode Aliases option to Yes in Global Configuration. If this option is set to No and the title includes non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time (for example "2012-12-31-17-54-38").
- Category. The Category this item belongs to.
- Type. The type of banner to display. Options are an image file or custom HTML code.
- Status: Published status of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Custom Code (Only displayed for banner type Custom). The HTML code to insert in the place of a banner image file.
- Image (Only displayed for banner type Image). Image file to display for the banner. Specify the relative path to the banner image to use or click the Select button to browse and select the image file to use. Use the Media Manager to upload Banner image files to your site.
- Width (Only displayed for banner type Image). The fixed width to resize the banner image to. Leave this blank if you want to use the actual width of the banner image file.
- Height (Only displayed for banner type Image). The fixed height to resize the banner image to. Leave this blank if you want to use the actual height of the banner image file.
- Alternative Text (Only displayed for banner type Image). Text to display in place of the banner image in the event the image cannot be displayed.
- Click URL. The URL to navigate to when the User clicks on the Banner.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Publishing Options Tab
- Created. The date the banner was created.
- Sticky. Whether or not the banner is 'sticky'.
- Max. Impressions. The number of Impressions purchased for this Banner. Impressions are the number of times a Banner will be displayed on a page. Check the 'Unlimited' checkbox if an unlimited number of Impressions is allowed.
- Total Impressions. The number of times this Banner has been displayed on a web page to a user. No entry is allowed. You can reset this number to 0 by pressing the 'Reset impressions' button.
- Total Clicks. The number of times this Banner has been clicked. No entry is allowed. You can reset this number to 0 by pressing the 'Reset clicks' button.
- Client. The Client Name for this Banner. Select one from the drop-down list box of existing Clients.
- Purchase Type. The purchase type of the banner. This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner - monthly, yearly, etc...
- Track Impressions. Whether or not to track the number of times the banner is displayed to web site visitors.
- Track Clicks. Whether or not to track the number of times the banner is clicked by web site visitors.
Banner's Details Tab
Metadata Options Tab
- Meta Keywords. Optional entry for keywords. Must be entered separated by commas (for example, "cats, dogs, pets") and may be entered in upper or lower case. (For example, "CATS" will match "cats" or "Cats"). Keywords can be used in several ways:
- To help Search Engines and other systems classify the content of the Article.
- In combination with Banner tags, to display specific Banners based on the Article content. For example, say you have one Banner with an ad for dog products and another Banner for cat products. You can have your dog Banner display when a User is viewing a dog-related Article and your cat Banner display for a cat-related Article. To do this, you would:
- Add the keywords 'dog' and 'cat' to the appropriate Articles.
- Add the Tags 'dog' and 'cat' to the appropriate Banners in the Banner Manager New/Edit screen.
- Set the Banner module Parameter 'Search By Tags' to 'Yes in the Banner Module Edit screen.
- For articles only, in combination with the Related Articles module, to display Articles that share at least one keyword in common. For example, if the current Article displayed has the keywords "cats, dogs, monkeys", any other Articles with at least one of these keywords will show in the Related Articles module.
- Use Own Prefix. Whether or not to use the banner's prefix or that of the client. Select No if you want to use the prefix of the banner client.
- Meta Keyword Prefix. When matching meta keywords, only search for meta keywords with these optional prefixes. This improves performance.
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the user and stays in the current screen.</translate>
- Save & Close. Saves the user and closes the current screen.</translate>
- Save & New. Saves the user and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another user.</translate>
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.</translate>
- Help. Opens this help screen.</translate>
- Banners are placed on specific pages by adding Modules of type 'Banners' using the Module Manager.
- If you have a series of Banners that you would like to display on one or more pages in random order:
- Create the Banners you wish to include, making sure they have the same Client and Category.
- Create a Banner Module for this Client and Category, and in the Menu Assignment pick the Menu Selections for the module to display on.
- In the Banner Module, set the 'Randomise' value to 'Sticky, Randomise'.
- With these settings, the different Banners for that Client and Category will display on the selected pages in random order.