Content Featured Articles
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 08:15, 4 April 2013 by JoomlaWikiBot
How to Access
- Select Content → Featured Article from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
- Click the Featured Articles link while viewing the Article Manager or Category Manager in the left, upper sidebar.
Used to control which 'Featured Articles are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site. The Front Page is created using a Menu Item with the Front Page layout.
In the table containing Featured Articles, these are the different columns shown below.
- Ordering: Up-Down Arrows User specified ordering, default is order of item creation. When active, drag and drop ordering by 'click and hold' on the bars icon then 'release' in desired position.</translate>
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status. Status of Article, Published or Unpublished featured articles.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Access. The viewing level access for this item.
- Author. Name of the Joomla! User who created this item.
- Language. Item language.
- Date. The date this Article was created. This date is added automatically by Joomla!, but you may change it in the Publishing Options - Article section of the Content Article Manager Edit.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.</translate>
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new article.</translate>
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected article. If more than one article is selected (where applicable), only the first article will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the article.</translate>
- Publish. Makes the selected articles available to visitors to your website.</translate>
- Unpublish: Makes the selected articles unavailable to visitors to your website.</translate>
- Remove.. Removes one or more articles from featured status. Featured articles are shown in featured views. Removed articles may still be available on other pages.
- Archive: Changes the status of the selected articles to indicate that they are archived. Archived articles can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred.</translate>
- Check In. Checks-in the selected articles. Works with one or multiple articles selected.</translate>
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected articles to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed articles can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed articles, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the articles to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.</translate>
- Options: Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.</translate>
- Help. Opens this help screen.</translate>
Above the column headers on the right, there are 3 drop down input fields, Sort Table by: (preset to Ordering), Select the ordering (preset to Ascending) and a number (preset to 20) to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the drop down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Ordering: (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names.</translate>
- Ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
The List Filters, above on the left, and other filters as detailed below are in the left, bottom sidebar. These filters are a series of controls that let you limit what items show in the manager screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only items that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
Filter by Partial Title or ID. In the upper left is a filter or search field and two buttons, as shown below.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Click X to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
Filter by Category. Lets you show only items assigned to a specific category. The list box will show the categories defined for your site.
- - Select Category -: Show items assigned to any category.
- <your category>: Show items assigned only to this category.
Filter by Max Levels (Category Level). Lets you show only items whose category is at or above the specified level in the category hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all items regardless of level of their assigned category.
- 1: Only show items whose category is at the top level in the category hierarchy (in other words, with categories whose parent category is "- No Parent -".)
- 2-10: Only show items whose category is in the top 2-10 levels in the category hierarchy.
Filter by Viewing Access Level. Lets you show only items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Access -: Show items with any viewing access level.
- <access level group>: Show items only with this viewing access level.
Filter by Author. Lets you show only items that have the specified author. The list box will show the authors for your site.
- - Select Author -: Show all items regardless of their author.
- <your author>: Only show items with the specified author.
Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Language - or All: Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
<translate> Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.</translate>
[[Image:Help30-colheader-pagination-<translate> en</translate>.png]] <translate>
- Start: Click to go to the first page.</translate>
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.</translate>
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.</translate>
- Next: Click to go to the next page.</translate>
- End: Click to go to the last page.</translate>
- Only the Articles that have already been added to the Front Page will display on this screen. Articles can be added to the Front Page in the Article Manager or when an Article is added or edited in Article Manager - New/Edit.
- You can control the number of columns, number of articles, and other features of the Front Page layout in the Menu Item Manager - New/Edit - Front Page Blog Layout.
- To change the way Articles are displayed on the Front Page Layout: Menu Item Manager - New/Edit - Front Page Blog Layout
- To work with Articles: Article Manager
- To work with Categories: Category Manager
- To work with Sections: Section Manager
- To work with Users: User Manager