Menus Menu Item Article Single Article
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 09:27, 4 April 2013 by JoomlaWikiBot
How To Access
To create a new Single Articles Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the Single Articles link under Articles link.
To edit an existing Single Articles Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show one article in the front end of the site.
The Single Article Layout has the following required settings:
- Select Article. This field holds the article to be shown in this layout. Press the Select/Change button to open the article selection modal window, as shown below.
- This screen is similar to the Article Manager. You can use the Filter fields to find the desired article and then click on the article's Title to select it. At that point, the modal window will close and the title will show in the Select Article field.
- Menu Title. The title that will display for this menu item.
- Menu Location. The menu that this menu item (choice) will be part of. The menus defined for the site will show in the list box.
Advanced Details Tab
The Single Article Layout has the following Article Options, as shown below. These options determine how the article will show on the Front End Site layout.
Note that these options include "Use Global". If this is selected, the setting from the Article Manager Options will be used.
- Show Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Title.
- Linked Titles. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Title is shown, whether to show it as a link to the article.
- Show Intro Text. (Use Global/Hide/Show). If set to Show, the Intro Text of the article will show when you drill down to the article. If set to Hide, only the part of the article after the "Read More" break will show.
- Position of Article Info. (Use Global/Use Article Settings/Above/Below/Split). Postion of Article Info. Puts the article information block above or below the text or splits it into two separate blocks. One block is above and the other is below.
- Show Category. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Category.
- Link Category. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Category is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Category layout (list or blog) for that Category.
- Show Parent. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's Parent Category.
- Link Parent. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's Parent Category is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Category layout (list or blog) for that Category.
- Show Author. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to show the author of the Article.
- Link Author. (Use Global/No/Yes). If the Article's author is shown, whether to show it as a link to a Contact layout for that author. Note that the author must be set up as a Contact in Contact Manager: Edit.
- Show Create Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's create date.
- Show Modify Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's modify date.
- Show Publish Date. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the Article's start publishing date.
- Show Navigation. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show a navigation link (for example, Next or Previous article) when you drill down to the article.
- Show Voting. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Whether or not to show the a voting icon for the article.
- Show Icons. (Use Global/Hide/Show). If set to Show, Print and Email will use icons instead of text.
- Show Print Icon. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the Print Article button.
- Show Email Icon. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the Email Article button.
- Show Hits. (Use Global/Hide/Show). Show or Hide the number of times the article has been hit (displayed by a user).
- Show Unauthorised Links. (Use Global/No/Yes). If Yes, the Intro Text for restricted articles will show. Clicking on the "Read More" link will require users to log in to view the full article content.
- Positioning of the Links. (Use Global/Above/Below). If Above, links are shown above the content. Otherwise they are shown below the content.
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.</translate>
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.</translate>
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.</translate>
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.</translate>
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.</translate>
- Help. Opens this help screen.</translate>
- If you have a Single Article Layout defined for an article, that layout will show any time a user drills down to that article. For example, if an article is shown on another menu item type (for example, in a Category Blog or List Layout or a Featured Articles Layout), the user will be taken to the Single Article Layout for that article (if defined).
- Archived articles are no longer published but are still stored on the site. Articles are Archived using the Article Manager screen. Note that Articles assigned to the "Uncategorized" Section will not show on the Archived Article List layout.
- Articles are created using Article Manager: Add or Edit.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Article Manager Options||
Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when "Use Global" is selected for an option in an Articles menu item. For example, to show the 'Create Date' for an article in your Articles menu items, then set that option to "Show" here and it will be the default value. You do not need to set any of these options. Your Joomla site will work with the default settings.
|Content Article Manager||
The Article Manager is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles. See Toolbar below for a detailed list of all functions.
|Content Article Manager Edit||
This is the back-end screen where you can add and edit Articles. The same screen is used for adding a new Article and editing an existing Article. You can also select the Section and Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.
The Article's content is edited using the default editor selected in the User Manager - New/Edit. The Joomla! default editor is called TinyMCE.
A number of Parameters can be set for the Article. Metadata can also be entered.
|Content Featured Articles||
Used to control which 'Featured Articles are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site. The Front Page is created using a Menu Item with the Front Page layout.
|Extensions Module Manager Articles Archive||
This module shows a list of the calendar months containing archived articles. After you have changed the status of an article to archived, this list will be automatically generated.
|Extensions Module Manager Articles Categories||
This module displays a list of articles from one or more categories.
|Extensions Module Manager Articles Category||
This module displays a list of published articles from one or more categories.
|Extensions Module Manager Articles Newsflash||
The Article Newsflash Module will display a fixed number of Articles from a specific Category or a set of Categories.
|Extensions Module Manager Articles Related||
This Module shows a list of Articles that are related to the current Article being viewed by the user (for example, a Article Layout or a Blog or List layout where the user has clicked on an Article link). Articles are considered to be related to each other if they share at least one Keyword in the Article's Metadata Information. Article Keywords are entered in the Metadata Information section of the Article Manager - New/Edit screen.
|Menus Menu Item Article Archived||
Used to show a list of Archived Articles. The Archived Article list can be displayed by date, filtered, and intro text added as shown below.
|Menus Menu Item Article Categories||
Used to show a list of Categories. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, as shown below. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.
|Menus Menu Item Article Category Blog||
Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Introduction or Leading Article, additional Articles with intro text, and additional links to more Articles in the same category. Some examples of settings for the Blog Layout format include: number of articles, article columns, across or down layouts, and number of additional links. See the Advanced Details Tab for all this menu item.
|Menus Menu Item Article Category List||
Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.
|Menus Menu Item Article Create||
Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the front end of the site. Users must have permission to create articles. When the Create Article page is shown in the front end, the screen shows as examples in the following Front End Screenshots section.
|Menus Menu Item Article Featured||
Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.