From Joomla! Documentation
The Articles list is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles.
Tutorials: see Related Information below.
How to Access
Starting from the Administrator menu:
- Select Home Dashboard → Site panel → Articles. Or...
- Select Content → Articles. Or...
- Select Content → Content Dashboard → Articles. Or...
- Select Content → Featured Articles. Or...
- Select the numbered button in the Articles: Categories screen.
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Ordering. You can change the order of an item within a list as follows:
- If the list Filter Options include a Position filter select the desired Position. This will limit the list to items that are assigned to that Position.
- Select the Ordering icon in the Table heading to make it the active ordering item. The ordering icons in each row will change from light grey to dark grey and the pointer will change to a drag arrow on hover.
- Select one of the Ordering icons and drag it up or down to change the position of that row in the list. The items will display in the new order within the Position.
- Featured. Whether or not the Article will show on the Featured Articles Page. Click the icon to toggle.
- Status. Status of Article, Published, Unpublished, Trashed. Click the icon to reveal a dropdown list.
- Published, not featured article.
- Published, featured article.
- Unpublished article.
- Trashed article.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Author. Name of the Joomla! User who created this item.
- Language. Item language.
- Date Created. The date this Article was created. This date is added automatically by Joomla, but you may change it in the Parameters - Article section of the Content Article Manager Edit.
- Hits. The number of times an item has been viewed.
- Votes. Number of votes for this item.
- Ratings. Number of ratings for this item.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays "0" until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Search bar. This is a common feature of most Lists. The layout is as shown below.
- Search by Text. Enter part of the search term and click the Search icon. The search may be of one or more fields. Hover to see a Tooltip indicating which fields will be searched. In some cases a different format is required. For Example, to Search by ID enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the item ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Filter Options. Click to display or hide the additional filters.
- Clear. Click to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
- Ordering. Shows the current table ordering field. Select from the dropdown list to change the order or click a column heading. Ordering may be in ascending or descending order. The column heading toggles between ascending and descending order.
- Number to Display. Shows the number of items in a list. The default for a site is 20 but this may be changed in the global configuration. Select from the dropdown list to change the number displayed. If you select too many complex items they will be slow to deliver and display.
Near the top of the page you will see the filter bar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Select Featured. Select from Unfeatured Articles / Featured Articles.
- Select Status. Select from Trashed / Unpublished / Published / Archived / All.
- Select Category. Select from the list of available categories.
- Select Access. Select from the list of available viewing access levels.
- Select Author. Select from the list of available authors.
- Select Language. Select from the list of available languages.
- Select Tag. Select from the list of available tags.
- Select Max Levels. Select from the list of available levels.
Page Controls. When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed has a dark colour background.
- Start. Click to go to the first page.
- Prev. Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers. Click to go to the desired page.
- Next. Click to go to the next page.
- End. Click to go to the last page.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new article.
- Actions: Reveals a list of actions for selected Items. Check one or more Item checkboxes to activate the list.
- Publish. Makes the selected article available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected article unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Feature. Marks selected article as featured. Works with one or multiple article selected.
- Unfeature. Changes the status of featured articles to unfeatured. Works with one or multiple articles selected.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected article to indicate that they are archived. Archived article can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the article to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-In. Checks-in the selected article. Works with one or multiple article selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected article to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed article can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the article to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed article, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the article to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected article. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited. See Article: Options for more information.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
The Batch Process allows a change in settings for a group of selected items marked with a check-mark in the corresponding check-mark boxes. To use: select one or more items form the table of items being viewed and click on the 'Batch' Toolbar button. This will open a pop up window as shown below.
You can change one value or all four values at one time.
- Note - if you copy items to a new category, changes you have selected from access level and language will be applied to the copies, not the original.
How to Batch Process a group of items:
- Select one or more items on the list by checking the desired category check boxes.
- Click the 'Batch' Toolbar button.
- Set one or more of the following values:
- To change the Access Levels, select the desired new access level from the Set Access Level list box.
- To change the Language, select the desired language from the Set Language list box.
- To add Tags, Select the desired Tags from the drop down or choose to keep the tags currently added to the original articles.
- To change the Category, select a category. To leave the category unchanged, use the default value of "Select".
- To copy the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Copy option. In this case, the original items are unchanged and the copies are assigned to the new category and, if selected, the new access level and language.
- To move the items to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Move option. In this case, the original items will be moved to a new category and, if selected, be assigned the new access level and language.
- When all of the settings are entered, click on Process to perform the changes. A message "Batch process completed successfully." will show.
Note that nothing will happen if you (a) don't have any items selected or (b) have not selected an access level, language, or category.
If you wish to clear your entered selections, click on the Cancel button. This will return all of the Batch controls to their default values. Note that this does not uncheck the check boxes for the items.
Clicking on the Options icon in the toolbar opens a modal window where you can set component level options for articles. To see the help screen for Options, click Articles: Options
If you want to know how to use Custom Fields, click Adding Custom Fields
- If Joomla is installed without sample data, one article category called "Uncategorised" is created automatically. If you want to use other categories for articles, you should create them before trying to add articles.
- To see trashed and archived articles, set the Status filter to All.
- To change the ordering of articles within a category, click on the Ordering column heading to sort by this column. Also, it is easier to see the ordering if you filter on the desired category.