Help4.x:Banners: New or Edit Category
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 08:37, 12 January 2023 by FuzzyBot (Updating to match new version of source page)
This is where you can add a new Banner Category or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Banner Category before you can create a Banner. Also, Banner Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Contacts, and News Feeds.
How to Access
Navigate to the Banner Category Manager, Components → Banners → Categories
- New. Click on New icon in toolbar.
- Edit. To edit an existing Banner Category, click on the Category's Name in the table of categories.
- Title. The Title for this item. This may or may not display on the page, depending on the parameter values you choose.
- Alias. The internal name of the item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla will fill in a default value Title in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. Learn more.
- Description. The description for the item. Category, Subcategory and Web Link descriptions may be shown on web pages, depending on the parameter settings. These descriptions are entered using the same editor that is used for Articles.
- Parent. The item (category, menu item, and so on) that is the parent of the item being edited.
- Status. The published status of this item.
- Published: Item is visible in the Frontend of the site.
- Unpublished: Item is will not be visible to guests in the Frontend of the site. It may be visible to logged in users who have edit state permission for the item.
- Archived: Item will no longer show on blog or list menu items.
- Trashed: Item is deleted from the site but still in the database. It can be permanently deleted from the database with the Empty Trash function in Toolbar (see also Deleting an Article).
- Access. Select the viewing access level for this item from the list box. The access levels that display will depend on the what has been set up for this site in Users → Access Levels. Note that access levels are separate from ACL permissions. Access levels control what a user can see. ACL permissions control what actions a user can perform.
- Language. Select the language for this item. If you are not using the multi-language feature of Joomla, keep the default of 'All'.
- Tags. Assign tags to content items. You may select a tag from the pre-defined list or enter a new tag by typing the name in the field and pressing enter.
- Note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this item) and does not show in the Frontend of the site.
- Version Note. Optional field to identify this version of the item in the item's Version History window.
- Layout. Select a layout from the list.
- Image. Optional: Select an image to display alongside this Category.
- Alt Text. Alternative text for the icon - often used by screen readers.
The grayed out fields are for information only and may not be edited.
- Created Date. Date the item(Article, Category, Weblink, etc.) was created.
- Created by. Optional, choose from a popup window of users. Select User by clicking on the user's name. Defaults to user creating new category if left blank.
- Modified Date. (Informative only) Date of last modification.
- Modified By. (Informative only) Username who performed the last modification.
- Hits. Number of hits on a Category view.
- ID. The unique ID number automatically assigned to this item by Joomla!. This number cannot be changed.
- Meta Description. An optional paragraph to be used as the description of the page in the HTML output. This will generally display in the results of search engines. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with a name attribute of "description" and a content attribute equal to the entered text.
- Meta Keywords. Optional entry for keywords. Must be entered separated by commas (for example, "cats, dogs, pets") and may be entered in upper or lower case. (For example, "CATS" will match "cats" or "Cats"). Keywords can be used in several ways:
- To help Search Engines and other systems classify the content of the Article.
- In combination with Banner tags, to display specific Banners based on the Article content. For example, say you have one Banner with an ad for dog products and another Banner for cat products. You can have your dog Banner display when a User is viewing a dog-related Article and your cat Banner display for a cat-related Article. To do this, you would:
- For articles only, in combination with the Related Articles module, to display Articles that share at least one keyword in common. For example, if the current Article displayed has the keywords "cats, dogs, monkeys", any other Articles with at least one of these keywords will show in the Related Articles module.
- Author. Optional entry for an Author name within the metadata. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with the name attribute of "author" and the content attribute as entered here.
- Robots. The instructions for web "robots" that browse to this page.
- Use Global: Use the value set in the Component→Options for this component.
- Index, Follow: Index this page and follow the links on this page.
- No index, Follow: Do not index this page, but still follow the links on the page. For example, you might do this for a site map page where you want the links to be indexed but you don't want this page to show in search engines.
- Index, No follow: Index this page, but do not follow any links on the page. For example, you might want to do this for an events calendar, where you want the page to show in search engines but you do not want to index each event.
- No index, no follow: Do not index this page or follow any links on the page.
To change the permissions for this extension, do the following.
- Select the Group by clicking its title located on the left.
- Find the desired Action. Possible Actions are:
- Configure ACL & Options. Users can edit the options and permissions of this extension.
- Configure Options Only. Users can edit the options except the permissions of this extension.
- Access Administration Interface. Users can access user administration interface of this extension.
- Create. Users can create content of this extension.
- Delete. Users can delete content of this extension.
- Edit. Users can edit content of this extension.
- Edit State. User can change the published state and related information for content of this extension.
- Edit Own. Users can edit own created content of this extension.
- Select the desired permission for the action you wish to change. Possible settings are:
- Inherited. Inherited for users in this Group from the Global Configuration permissions of this extension.
- Allowed. Allowed for users in this Group. Note that, if this action is Denied at one of the higher levels, the Allowed permission here will not take effect. A Denied setting cannot be overridden.
- Denied. Denied for users in this Group.
- Click Save in Toolbar at top. When the screen refreshes, the Calculated Setting column will show the effective permission for this Group and Action.
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current item. Does not affect the current item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. Or
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new item.
- Versions. Opens the Item Version History window to show any prior versions of this item. This allows you to view older versions of this item and, if desired, restore from an older version. See Version History for more information.
- Associations. With a specific language set for an item, allows side by side editing in another language. This toolbar icon is shown on Multilingual Sites only.
- Help. Opens this help screen.