From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 04:30, 26 September 2020 by FuzzyBot (Updating to match new version of source page)
This screen allows Joomla! to be updated quickly using an update package from the Joomla! code repository.
How to Access
- Select Home Dashboard → Update Checks Panel → Joomla ... icon from the Administrator menu. Or...
- Select System → Update Panel → Joomla from the Administrator menu..
Your on the latest version of Joomla, so no action required.
- Check for Updates. Click the Toolbar button to see if an updates is available.
The update screen when an update is available.
If you are NOT on the latest version of Joomla, you can install the latest update from this screen. To do so select the Install the Update button in the Toolbar and Joomla will install the latest core files.
The screen while updating.
Upload and Update
Check the size of the update package! If it is larger than your PHP Upload Size or POST size it will fail. You may be able to increase these sizes. Otherwise...
You can use this feature to update Joomla if your server is behind a firewall or otherwise unable to contact the update servers. First download the Joomla Upgrade Package in ZIP format from the official Joomla download page.
The Installation method can have the following values:
- Write files directly
- Hybrid (use FTP only if needed
- Write files using FTP
The first method is advised.
There are options to select the type of update:
- Default. This should be used for production sites.
- Joomla Next. For ...
- Testing. For ...
- Custom Url. For Developers.
Select the Options button in the Toolbar to check or change the current selection.
If you set the Custom URL in the Joomla Update Options, after selecting Check for Updates you will see an extra tab, Pre-Update Check:
And the Live Update panel will be ready to go:
- You can look at the Joomla! Update Quick Icons in the Backend Control Panel.