Menu Item: Category List
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 06:00, 23 July 2022 by Franz.wohlkoenig
The Category List menu item type is used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.
How To Access
To add a Menu Item:
- Menus → [name of the menu]
- click the New toolbar button.
- click the Menu Item Type Select button.
- select the Articles item.
- select the Category List item.
To edit a Menu Item:
- Menus → [name of the menu]
- select a Title from the list
- Title. The title that will display for this menu item.
- Alias. The internal name of the menu item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla will fill in a default value Title in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. Learn more.
- Menu Item Type. The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Choose a Category. The articles that are within this category will be displayed.
- Tags. Optionally restrict displayed articles to those having the selected Tags.
- Link. The system-generated link for this menu item. This field cannot be changed and is for information only.
- Target Window. Select from the drop-down list.
- Template Style. Select from the drop-down list.
- Menu. Shows which menu the link will appear in.
The Options control the way that category information is shown in the menu item.
Note: Options include "Use Global". If this is selected, the setting from the Articles: Options will be used.
- Category Title. Show the title of the category.
- Category Description. Show the description for the category.
- Category Image. Show the category image.
- Subcategory Levels. Control how many levels of subcategories to show.
- Empty Categories. Show categories that don't contain any articles or subcategories.
- No Articles Message. Show a message "There are no articles in this category".
- Subcategories Heading. Show the Subcategories as subheading on the page.
- Subcategories Descriptions. Show the descriptions for subcategories.
- # Articles in Category. Show a count of the total number of articles in each category.
- Tags. Show the tags for the category.
List Layout Options control the appearance of the menu item.
- Display Select. Show the Display # control that allows the user to select the number of articles to show.
- Filter Field. Show a text field in the Frontend where a user can filter the articles.Options in the Backend menu item edit.
- Hide: Don't show a filter field.
- Title: Filter on article title.
- Author: Filter on the author's name.
- Hits: Filter on the number of article hits.
- Tags: Filter on the article tags.
- Month (published): Filter on the month of published articles.
- Table Headings. Show a heading in the article list in the Frontend.
- Date. Show a date in the list.
- Hide: Don't show any date.
- Created: Show the created date.
- Modified: Show the date of the last modification.
- Published: Show the start publishing date.
- Date Format. Optional format string to control the format of the date.
- Hits. Show the number of hits for articles.
- Author. Show the name of the author.
- Category Order.
- No Order: Articles are ordered only by the Article Order, without regard to Category.
- Title Alphabetical: Categories are displayed in alphabetical order (A to Z).
- Title Reverse Alphabetical: Categories are displayed in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A).
- Category Order: Categories are ordered according to the Order column entered in Articles: Categories.
- Article Order.
- Featured Articles Order: Articles are ordered according to the Order column entered in Articles: Featured.
- Most Recent First: Articles are displayed starting with the most recent and ending with the oldest.
- Oldest First: Articles are displayed starting with the oldest and ending with the most recent.
- Title Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Title in alphabetical order (A to Z).
- Title Reverse Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Title in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A).
- Author Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Author in alphabetical order (A to Z).
- Author Reverse Alphabetical: Articles are displayed by Author in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A).
- Most Hits: Articles are displayed by the number of hits, starting with the one with the most hits and ending with the one with the least hits.
- Least Hits: Articles are displayed by the number of hits, starting with the one with the least hits and ending with the one with the most hits.
- Random Order: Articles are displayed in random order.
- Article Order: Articles are ordered according to the Order column entered in Articles.
- Article Reverse Order: Articles are ordered reverse to the according of the Order column entered in Articles.
- Date for Ordering. The date used when articles are sorted by date.
- Created: Use the article created date.
- Modified: Use the article modified date.
- Published: Use the article start publishing date.
- Pagination. Pagination provides page links at the bottom of the page that allow the User to navigate to additional pages. These are needed if the Articles will not fit on one page.
- Hide: Pagination links not shown. Note: Users will not be able to navigate to additional pages.
- Show: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Auto: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Pagination Summary. Show the current page number and total pages (e.g., "Page 1 of 2") at the bottom of each page.
- # Articles to List. Number of articles shown in the list.
- Featured Articles.
- Show: Display featured articles and non-featured articles.
- Hide: Display only non-featured articles.
- Only: Display only featured articles.
The Options determine how the articles will show in the list menu item.
- Choose a Layout. Select from the drop-down list.
- Title. Show the Article's Title.
- Linked Titles. Show the title as a link to the article.
- Intro Text.
- Show: The Intro Text of the article will show when you drill down to the article.
- Hide: Only the part of the article after the Read More break will show.
- Category. Show the Article's Category Title.
- Link Category. Show the title as a link to that Category.Note: You can set this to be either a blog or list layout with the Choose a Layout option in the Category Tab.
- Parent Category. Show the Article's Parent Category Title.
- Link Parent Category. Show the title as a link to that Category.Note: You can set this to be either a blog or list layout with the Choose a Layout option in the Category Tab.
- Associations. Show the associated flags or Language Code. Multilingual only.
- Author. Show the author of the Article.
- Link to Author's Contact Page. Show it as a link to a Contact layout for that author.Note: The author must be set up as a Contact. Also, a link will not show if there is an Author Alias value for the article.
- Create Date. Show the Article's create date.
- Modify Date. Show the Article's modify date.
- Publish Date. Show the Article's start publishing date.
- Navigation. Show a navigation link 'Prev' or 'Next' when you drill down to the article.
- "Read More" Link. Show the Read More link to link from the part of the article before the Read More break to the rest of the Article.
- Read More with Title.
- Show: The article title is part of the Read More link. The link will be in the format "Read More: [article title]".
- Hide: The link will be "Read more".
- Hits. Show the number of times the article has been displayed by a user.
- Unauthorised Links.
- Yes: The Intro Text for restricted articles will show. Clicking on the Read more link will require users to log in to view the full article content.
- No: Articles that the user is not authorised to view (based on the viewing access level for the article) will not show.
The Options determine whether a news feed will be available for the page and what information it will show.
- RSS Feed Link. If set to Show, a Feed Link will show up as a feed icon in the address bar of most browsers.
- Include in Feed.
- Intro Text: Only the article's intro text will show in the feed.
- Full Text: The entire text of the article will show in the feed.
See Menus: New Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types, including:
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above.
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- The Category List layout is a convenient way to list a compact directory of articles in a category that can include filtering and searching.
- To create a new Category see Articles: New or Edit Category.
- To create a new menu see Menus.
- This Portal brings together information related specifically to Joomla 4.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Articles: Options||Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when 'Use Global' is selected for an option in an Articles menu item.|
|Articles||The Article list is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles.|
|Articles: Edit||This is where you can add and edit Articles. You can also select the Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.|
|Articles: Featured||Used to control which 'Featured Articles' are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed.|
|Articles: Categories||The Articles Categories list is used to find, add, and edit articles categories.|
|Menus: Archived Articles||Shows a customised list of articles ordered by date or title. Archived articles are no longer published but are still stored on the site.|
|Menus: Category Blog||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Leading Articles, Intro Articles and additional links to more Articles.|
|Menus: Category List||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.|
|Menus: Create Article||Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the Frontend of the site. Users must have permission to create articles.|
|Menus: Featured Articles||Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.|
|Menus: List All Categories in an Article Category Tree||Used to show a hierarchical list of Categories. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.|
|Menus: Single Article||Used to show one article.|