Menu Item: Display Template Options
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 08:02, 22 August 2021 by Max123kl (image resized)
The Display Template Options menu item type allows a Joomla! super-user to easily change some template options from the front-end. After a change, the super-user will see the results immediately. This menu item is intended to help new super-users with site development.
How To Access
To create a new Display Template Options menu item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the Administrator menu (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
To edit an existing Display Template Options menu item:
- Select its Title in the Menus: Items list.
- Menu Title: The title that will display for this menu item.
- Alias. The internal name of the item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla will fill in a default value Title in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. Learn more.
- Menu Item Type. The Menu Item Type selected when this menu item was created. This can be one of the core menu item types or a menu item type provided by an installed extension.
- Link. The system-generated link for this menu item. This field cannot be changed and is for information only.
- Target Window. Select from the drop-down list.
- Template Style. Select from the drop-down list.
- Menu. Shows which menu the link will appear in.
- Parent Item. The parent menu item for this menu item. Used to determine whether a Menu Item is a top-level item or a submenu item. Select 'Menu Item Root' (the default value) if this is a top-level Menu Item. Otherwise, select the Menu Item that is this item's parent.
- Ordering. You can change the order of an item within a list as follows:
- If the list Filter Options include a Position filter select the desired Position. This will limit the list to items that are assigned to that Position.
- Select the Ordering icon in the Table heading to make it the active ordering item. The ordering icons in each row will change from light grey to dark grey and the pointer will change to a drag arrow on hover.
- Select one of the Ordering icons and drag it up or down to change the position of that row in the list. The items will display in the new order within the Position.
- Status. The published status of the item.
- Start Publishing. Date and time to start publishing. Use this field if you want to enter content ahead of time and then have it published automatically at a future time.
- Finish Publishing. Date and time to finish publishing. Use this field if you want to have content automatically changed to Unpublished state at a future time (for example, when it is no longer applicable).
- Default Page. If Yes, this menu item is the default or home page for the site. There must be exactly one menu item set as the default page. You can change the default page in two ways:
- Click on the Home column of the desired menu item in the Menus: Items screen.
- Open the menu item for the new default page and change the Default Page setting to Yes.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this item.
- Language. Item language.
- Note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this item) and does not show in the Frontend of the site.
See Menus: Edit/New Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types located in the following Tabs:
- Link Type
- Page Display
- Module Assignment
At the top of the page you will see the toolbar shown in the Screenshot above. The functions are:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current item. Does not affect the current item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. Or
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new item.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Front End Screenshot
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Templates: Edit Style||This is where you edit template styles. When a template is first installed, a default style is created for it. The default style for the template will have the same name as the template with a - Default suffix. To make a different variation of the default template style, check the default style's checkbox and press the Duplicate icon in the toolbar. Then edit the duplicate.|
|Templates: Templates||The Template Manager: Templates screen allows you to preview and edit templates which are installed in your Joomla! installation.|
|Templates: Customise||This is where you edit a template's source code. You can edit the template's master files and stylesheets from this screen.|
|Templates: Customise Source||This screen is where the source code of template files is edited. It provides a plain text interface to edit the template files. HTML and PHP programming syntax is highlighted to make the source code files easier to read.|