How do I use Gmail as my mail server?
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 09:01, 10 October 2013 by Toivo
If you have a working Gmail account you can use Gmail as your mail server by setting it in the global configuration.
On the server tab set the following:
- Mailer: SMTP
- Set the next three lines with your information, leave your path untouched unless you are sure it needs to change for some reason.
- SMTP Authentication: Yes
- SMTP Security: SSL
- SMTP Port 465
- SMTP username: your gmail username
- SMTP password: your gmail password
- SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com
The following is also a working combination:
- SMTP Security: TLS
- SMTP Port 587
The SSL module must be enabled in apache. If it is not, enable it with a2enmod ssl
Note that if you are using WAMP on Windows, you may need to enable the openssl module (which is not enabled by default). To do this:
- Open the php.ini file and uncomment out the line
- Save the php.ini file and restart the Apache service.
Note that if you use 2-step verification in Gmail, you need to add a new password in Settings - Accounts - Change accounts settings - Other Google Account settings - Security - 2-step verification - Manage your application specific passwords. When the new password is presented in groups of four characters separated by spaces, do NOT enter the spaces into the SMTP password in the mail server settings.