There are two ways to determine your database prefix. One requires access to the root of your Joomla! site while the other requires access to the Joomla! back-end.
Using the Joomla! Back-end (Super administrators only)
- Log in to the Joomla! backend.
- Go to Global Configuration by clicking the button in the control panel or via the menu (Site > Global Configuration).
- Go to the Server Tab.
- Under Database Settings, look for Database Prefix field. The value you find there is your database prefix.
Tip: Look for the yellow warning symbol
Using Configuration.php (Requires Access to the Site Root)
- Go to the document root and find the configuration.php file.
- Open the file in a text editor.
- Search for the word dbprefix.
- You'll see the line var $dbprefix = 'value'. The value you see here (for example, jos_) is your database prefix.