How to disable the Strong Passwords feature
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 08:45, 9 December 2013 by Tom Hutchison
With the release of Joomla! 3.2, the CMS introduced a new feature called, Strong Passwords. It's intent was to enhance the encryption of password hashing and storage through the use of php BCrypt, thus increasing the security of Joomla! 3.2 user accounts. The Joomla 3 series requires a minimum php version of 5.3.
- Log in to the Administrator.
- In the top menu, select Extensions -> Plugin Manager.
- In the "- Select Type -" filter in the left-hand column, choose "user".
- In the list of user plugins click on the plugin called "User - Joomla".
- Change the "Strong Passwords" setting to "No".
- Click the "Save and Close" toolbar button.
Your site will now no longer use enhanced passwords.