Category parameter type
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 13:12, 17 January 2011 by Mvangeest
The category parameter type provides a drop down list of published categories from a given section. If the parameter has a saved value this is selected when the page is first loaded. If not, the default value (if any) is selected. The first option on the list is always '- Select Category -' (which is a translatable string) and is given the value 0.
Note that categories will still be shown in the drop-down list even if the section they belong to is not published. This is to make it possible to build draft content areas without having to first publish a section.
- type (mandatory) must be category.
- name (mandatory) is the unique name of the parameter.
- label (mandatory) (translatable) is the descriptive title of the field.
- section (optional) is the ID number of the section from which the categories in the list are drawn. The section ID number can be found in the Section Manager. If omitted, all published categories in all sections will be listed.
- scope (optional) is an alias for section.
- default (optional) is the default category ID number.
- description (optional) (translatable) is text that will be shown as a tooltip when the user moves the mouse over the drop-down box.
- class (optional) is a CSS class name for the HTML form field. If omitted this will default to 'inputbox'.
Example XML parameter definition:
<param name="mycategory" type="category" label="Select a category" description="" section="3" />