Joomla! CMS versions
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 10:09, 30 April 2014 by Tom Hutchison
Check for the latest Joomla! CMS version. If you are not on the latest release, read the release notes to see if you need to upgrade. If a release is being made in order to address security issues then it is strongly advised that you upgrade as soon as possible. You can see the release history of each series in the table below. Click the version history link in the notes column to find details on exact release date, release notes and package and MD5s.
- Normally, you should use the latest version of Joomla! for a new site unless you have a specific reason not to.
- The latest version can be downloaded from the Joomla! download site.
- Make sure you subscribe to the Joomla! Security Announcements feed. This RSS feed is used to make announcements, including the availability of new releases, that could affect the security of your site. You have the option to subscribe to this feed by RSS or email.
- If you are running an earlier release of the current version (for example, you are running 2.5.1 and the current version is 2.5.6), you should upgrade to the current version. Each minor release fixes a number of bugs and/or security issues. It is always good practice to upgrade to the latest maintenance version as a first step in troubleshooting a problem and fixing any newly discovered security issues.
Joomla! CMS versions
|CMS Version||Available||Support||End of Life||Upgrade Type||Notes||Latest Release|
|1.5||Sept 2012||Migration to 2.5||Plan to migrate to 2.5 now
Joomla 1.5 version history
|EOL at 1.5.26|
|1.6||Aug 2011||One-click to 2.5||Upgrade to 2.5 now
Joomla 1.6 version history
|1.7||Feb 2012||One-click to 2.5||Upgrade to 2.5 now
Joomla 1.7 version history
|2.5||December 31st, 2014||One-click core to 3.x||Start planning for an upgrade to 3.4.4
Joomla 2.5 version history
|3.0||May 2013||One-click to 3.1||You should use the one click upgrade
Joomla 3.0 version history
|3.1||Dec 2013||One-click to 3.2||You should use the one click upgrade
Joomla 3.1 version history
|3.2||Oct 2014||One-click to 3.3||You should upgrade your server's PHP to 5.3.10 or greater and upgrade to 3.3
Joomla 3.2 version history
|3.3||3.4 release||One-click||Recommended for all new installs
Joomla 3.3 version history
|3.4||July 2014||-||-||≥ Sept 2016||One-click|
- Bug fixes will cease April 2014, security fixes only, see http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/1798-raising-the-bar-on-security.html.
"Also, for the six months after Joomla! 3.3 is released, the Joomla! Project will be releasing Security Updates for both 3.2 AND 3.3 (as well as 2.5) so any new vulnerabilities can be promptly patched with a one-click update without the need to immediately update to Joomla! 3.3, giving you time to request your hosting provider to update their PHP version."
- Please note that dates may be subject to change depending on availability of volunteers and circumstances beyond the PLT's control.