From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 14:31, 15 September 2013 by Tom Hutchison
<translate> As someone who has not used Joomla! before, you need to know how to get started. Maybe you have a friend or a neighbour who uses Joomla! and you want a Joomla! web site of your very own. Maybe you have a small business or a club or a community that needs a web presence, and you want to use Joomla! for that purpose. Maybe you are a seasoned Information Technology professional, but you have never used Joomla! before. If so, you are just starting a very enjoyable journey and we warmly welcome you to Joomla! </translate>
What is Joomla?
Joomla! is a CMS(Content Management System) that lets you...
- ...make and update web pages easily.
As a simplified explanation, think of a Joomla! website dynamically bringing together three elements.
- Your content, which is stored in a database and called articles.
- Modules, additional pieces of special content which is also stored in a database.
- Your template, which controls the design and presentation(fonts, colors and layout) of your content and modules.
Joomla! is the software that brings together the content and modules using the template to produce webpages dynamically. No more HTML pages to store, update, link together and then upload to your server.
- For support with installation, you can ask questions in the Joomla! installation forum.
- For support as you are learning Joomla! you can ask questions in the NewJoomla! forums. Use the New to Joomla! 2.5 Forum or the New to Joomla! 3.x Forum.