Resetting a user password
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 14:16, 25 July 2022 by Cmb (Some markup changes and corrections for Words2Watch compliance.)
Resetting a User password can be done a number of ways:
The User can do it by themselves through the Frontend of your website:
- Make sure the Login Module is published and active on the Frontend of your site. If not, log in to the Administrator Backend and go to the Module Manager to enable it.
- Find the Login Form on the Frontend of your site. If you need to reset your password, click Forgot your Password? and you will be prompted to enter your email address. A confirmation code will be emailed to you so you can enter a new password.
- If you can't remember your Username, click Forgot your Username? and it will be emailed to you.
The website Administrator can perform the following steps:
- Log into the Administrator Backend of your site (e.g. https://www.yoursite.com/administrator)
- In the menu Users, select the sub-menu Manage.
- Click the User's name you want to edit.
- Enter the new password into the Password field and type it again in the Confirm Password field.
- Click Save.
Resetting in phpMyAdmin
If you have lost your admin password and you can't log into the Backend, then you're able to reset the password in your phpMyAdmin. Complete the following steps:
- Select your database in phpMyAdmin
- Select the prefixofyourtable_users table.
- Click Browse and select Edit (the small pen icon) on the User whose password you wish to reset
- You will now see all User data in a form. Under the password field, you will see a long list of encrypted letters. Delete these letters, and type in a new password.
- Before saving, remember to select MD5 in the function dropdown list.
- Save your new password and log into the Backend of your Joomla site. Remember to reset the password again from the Backend, as the MD5 encryption is much more secure this way.