Security Checklist/Site Recovery
From Joomla! Documentation
< Security ChecklistRevision as of 00:13, 29 October 2008 by Rliskey
Follow a logical and rigorous recovery process
- Know the important steps to follow when your site has been compromised. Once you've gotten to this point, there are few shortcuts. (FAQ)
Reset your administrator password
- Many attackers take pleasure in locking you out of your site. They do this by 'changing the key', or changing your administrator password. If you are locked out, don't panic! There is a simple procedure for resetting your administrator password. (FAQ)
Find exploit attempts using the *NIX shell
- Know how to check for suspicious and/or modified files. Know how to check the raw Apache logs for suspicious activity on your site. (FAQ)
Get help the right way
- If you believe your Web site was attacked, do not post in the Joomla! forums. If there is a vulnerability, publishing that information could put other Web sites at risk. Instead, report possible security vulnerabilities to the Joomla! Security Task Force.
- If you discover a bug in Joomla! core files, report it here.