Setting up your workstation for Joomla! development
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 15:48, 16 September 2012 by Garyamort
This article provides detailed instructions for setting up your workstation for Joomla! development with Apache, PHP, xdebug, Subversion. Please refer to the following links for other development tools and environments: Setting up your workstation for joomla development
The article more specifically let's you contribute to the official SVN Joomla! code.
The examples used and screenshots are for Windows XP, but the basic steps are the same for Linux.
Install & configure XAMPP, php, Eclipse
- Configuring a XAMPP server for joomla development
- Edit PHP.INI File for XDebug
- Configuring Eclipse for joomla development
- Git for Testers and Trackers
- Working with git and github/My first pull request
Check Out and modify Joomla! Source Code
Now we are going to create a new PHP project that will contain all of the source code files for Joomla!. We can import the source code and create our PHP project at the same time.
To do so, please see Working with git and github/My first pull request
Working With Patches
For testing and tracking changes, please refer to []
Error When Doing Team->Commit
- When doing a commit, you get the message "svn: Server sent unexpected return value (501 Method Not Implemented)". This error can be caused by doing an anonymous checkout on a project that requires credentials to commit. The anonymous credentials are cached and so the commit is not authorized. To fix this, you need to clear the SVN cache. This can be done by removing the cache file. For XP, the file is
c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\subversion\auth\svn.simple. For Vista, it is
- If you use Tortoise, you can right-click and select SVN->Settings->Saved Data and press the Clear button next to Authentication Data.
For Eclipse setup information related to Joomla! extension development, see Setting up your workstation for extension development.