Setting up your workstation for Joomla development
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 16:26, 10 August 2012 by E-builds
This is a trial to better structure all the wiki pages around developing on and with joomla. Such as:
- Setting up your workstation for PHP development. A similar step-by-step guide for general PHP development environment (with some more choices and info).
- Setting up your workstation for Joomla! development. A complete step-by-step guide to installing the Eclipse IDE on your local workstation for Joomla! development.
Installing a web server
Installing a typical web server environment is very easy with following AMP-packages (Apache, MySQL, PHP).
- XAMPP (Mutliple OS)
- LAMP (Linux)
- WAMP (Windows),. A good choice for for a local server environment for windows is WampServer.
- MAMP (Macintosh / OS X) http://www.mamp.info/en/download.html MAMP] by living-e AG may be a good choice.
If you want use XDebug for debuggin, you'll need to tune php settings
Installing an IDE / Editor (and debugging)
- Eclipse IDE
- Komodo Edit
- UltraEdit, Notepad++, ...
Installing a version control
If you like to contribute to the actual Joomla! code, SVN is what is used there.
Installing a build mechanism
- Phing It's possible that Phing can use al ant files (needs confirmation though)
- Setting up your workstation for extension development (build with Phing)
- Extension development using eclipse and phing This article explains one way in which you can set up your workstation for writing Joomla! extensions. It assumes that you are using Eclipse and that you are familiar with using Eclipse for working with Joomla! and Subversion. For more information about the basics of getting started with Eclipse for Joomla! development.
Help is appreciated finding related pages and making these pages less redundant.