Split an article: Joomla! 1.5
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 14:46, 26 December 2010 by LornaS
This article or section is incomplete, which means it may be lacking information. You are welcome to assist in its completion by editing it as well. If this article or section
Index to the other documents in this series
Splitting a long article
It is sometimes useful to enable the article to be read in full following a summary or a few 'taster' lines - with a Read More button after the first few lines. Sometimes a long article is split into pages. There are two features to do this in the editor:-
- Read More ..
Read More ..
There are some pages where a short extract gives enough information for readers to be aware of the content of the article. If they wish to read more detail, they can choose to see the whole feature. In these cases, the Read More facility is very useful.
- Open the article for editing
- Make sure that the 'taster' text gives a good idea of the content of the rest of the article
- place the cursor at the end of the taster text
There is an icon called Read More underneath the Editor screen.
- Click the icon
A dotted line is inserted into the article.
- Save the article
Only the taster text is displayed. At the end of it there is a READ MORE button. Click on this to show the rest of the article.
To delete the Read More feature
- Find the position of the Read More - a dotted line on the screen
- Highlight it
- Press the Delete button on your keyboard
It is sometimes useful to split a long article into shorter sections. This also creates a table of contents, with the entries being the Page Titles that you enter for each page. You do have to decide on how long each page is to be but there is an option to view the whole article in the index. So this can be a very useful thing to do for some articles.
Insert a page break
- Open the article in the editor
- Position the cursor where you want a page break
There is an icon at the bottom of the Editor part of the editing page
- Click on the Pagebreak icon
A small dialogue box appears above the editor. The Page Title is likely to be the name of the heading or main content of the next part of the article. If you do not enter anything - this becomes the page number by default.
- Enter the name of the page
- Click Insert
To delete a page break
- Find the break in the article - it is marked by a grey image across the article
- Place the mouse cursor in the image
- Press Delete on the keyboard
--Lorna Scammell December 2010