Common features should be organized consistently across different parts of the application. Some layouts will have additional element and these should be ordered in a fixed area within each of these.
Ordering of Toolbars
Toolbars for forms, from left to right in left to right languages.
- Apply (save without closing)
- Save & Close
- Save as Copy
- Save & New
- Close/Cancel (Cancel only for new items)
Toolbars for grids
- Trash/Delete (Delete only when trash state is selected)
- Defaults (Preferences)
Left pane, top to bottom
Right pane, top to bottom
- Basic Options
- Access Rules
- Meta Data
All required elements must have required="true" in the corresponding xml.
- Text Field
- Select Access
- Select State
- Select Category
Right to left
- Check Box
- Defaults should always be "Use Global" or "" (i.e. empty string).
- Strings in text should be in all uppercase (no spaces, separate words with underscores for readability)
- Put the most general string possible and allow for overrides. Put the string in the most general place possible to encourage consistency and reuse.
For example JTOOLBAR_XXX should always be put into the en.mod_toolbar.ini so that there is consistent usage throughout.
This is important even if the toolbar item only exists once, since third party developers may need to use it.