Uploading and extracting an archive file with CPanel
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 20:54, 19 January 2014 by Tom Hutchison
Instead of FTP or Secure Shell, you can use CPanel to transfer installation or upgrade files to your Joomla installation location.
CPanel File Manager
Using your browser, log in to the CPanel for your site.
- Click on "File Manager" icon
- Navigate to the directory where you want to place the archive file. e.g.
Upload the Archive File
To upload the archive file to your web server:-
- Click on "Upload Files".
- In the popup window navigate to the archive file. For example, a typical archive file would have a file extension of .zip, .tar.gz or .tar.bz2.
- Click on the "Okay" or "Save" button to upload the file.
Extract the Archive File
Extracted files will overwrite the current files with the same name. Please make sure you have a backup before overwriting your current files.
To extract the contents of the archive file:-
- Click on the uploaded file.
- Click on the "Extract File Contents" option on the file manager interface. The files will then be extracted.
- Some versions of cPanel will only overwrite the old files if you have downloaded the tar.gz version of the upgrade package.