Using The Title Tag
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 16:23, 16 October 2022 by Cmb (Several markup changes. URL correction.)
The title tag is found in the head portion of your pages. This title tag becomes the clickable title in search engine result pages (SERPs). A title should be under 70 characters in length. It should also include your keywords for the specific page, as close to the start of the title tag as possible.
Google recommends that you create unique, descriptive page titles to describe to searchers what the page is about.
If a page title is not specified or if Google determines that the title is not appropriate, a more relevant title will be presented. In the screenshot below you can see the page title for this page (in large blue text).
Google recommends that you follow these principles when creating a title:
- Specify a unique title for every page.
- Make your title concise and descriptive of the page content.
- Avoid keyword stuffing. Keyword meta tags are ignored by the search engines.
- Brand your titles, but do it concisely and in relation to the content of the page.
- Use robots.txt carefully. Don't disallow search engines from visiting your website
There are various Webmaster Tools which can be used to identify problems with your listings in a particular search engine. It is worth paying attention and correcting any problems.