From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 12:37, 21 August 2010 by Horus 68
This article or section is incomplete, which means it may be lacking information. You are welcome to assist in its completion by editing it as well. If this article or section
- Depending on the security configuration of your Web server the recommended default permissions is:
- 755 for directories
- 644 for files
Note: On file permissions, in general never use 777 if you don't know what you are doing.
- Don't use extensions that require 777 permissions!
Learning the numbers
Each digit corresponds to a group of three letters each digit also corresponds to one set of permissions as follows:
- First digit = owner,
- second digit = group,
- third digit = others (everyone else),
Note: On some servers you may not see the numbers as shown above, what you see is rwxrwxrwx (777) or something similar.
Meaning of the numbers
- 777 means EVERYONE can read, write and execute ANY file.
- This something you NEVER want to be allowed on your server/website.
- 755 is rwx (owner), rw- (group) and rw- (others) or in other words everyone may read and write but only the owner(you) may execute (run) a file.
- 644 is rw-, r--, r-- or EVERYONE can read the file but only the owner may write to the file.
NOTE: these permission can be applied to directories as well which is why you might see this drwxrwxrwx, the "d" is for directory.
- For a complete explanation read the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_permissions