Version 1.6. Readme
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 12:42, 8 May 2010 by Horus 68
Draft: This page shows the content for the readme.txt file to be distributed inside Joomla! 1.6 full packs
1- What is this?
- This is a Joomla installation/upgrade file for version 1.6.x
2- What is Joomla?
- Joomla it's a content management system (CMS).
- It's a free and OpenSource software, distributed by the GNU General Public License version 2 or later
- This is a simple and powerful web server application and it requires a server with PHP and MySQL to run it. More details here: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla.html
- See Features Overview - http://www.joomla.org/core-features.html
- Try out our online demo: http://demo.joomla.org/
3- Is Joomla for you?
4- How to Find a Joomla! Translation?
- The Translations Working Group maintains a repository of accredited language packs: http://community.joomla.org/translations.html
5- Learn Joomla!
- Read Getting Started with Joomla to find out the basics: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/getting-started.html
- Before install, read the beginners guide: http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners
6- What are the limits of Joomla?
- Joomla sites can be extended in functionalities with extensions that you can create to suite your needs
- There are lots of ready made extensions that you can download.
See Joomla Extensions Directory (JED): http://extensions.joomla.org/
7- Is it easy to change the layout display?
- The layout its controlled by templates that you can edit.
- Joomla Template Tutorial - http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla!_1.5_Template_Tutorial
- There are lots of ready made templates that you can download
See the Joomla Templates Directory: http:// templates .joomla.org/
8- Ready to install Joomla?
- See minimum requirements here: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/technical-requirements.html
- You should start your Joomla experience building your site at a local test server (and yes, you could move it later to an online hosting site) See the URL: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/ .... first-install.html
9- Updates are free!
- Always use the latest version: http://www.joomla.org/download.html
10- Where can you get support and help?
- Find help and other users. - http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/create-and-share.html
- Joomla Resources Directory (JRD) - http://resources.joomla.org/tos.html
- Feel free to post questions at our forums: http://forum.joomla.org
11- Already have a site but its not built with Joomla 1.6 ?
Move to the 1.6 experience [Tag line for 1.6 here!]
- Joomla! 1.6 Overview - http://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/4483-joomla-15-overview.html
- What are the main differences from 1.5 to 1.6? []
- Migrating from 1.5.x to 1.6? Tutorial: []
- How to migrate a static HTMl site to Joomla 1.6
- Convert an existing Web site to Joomla - http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_Convert_an_existing_Web_site_to_a_Joomla!_Web_site
Get Involved! Joomla its a community developed software, not owned by a corporation.
Join the Joomla community at http://www.joomla.org
Copyright (C) 2005 - 2010 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
GNU General Public License version 2 or later; see License at []
File ends here
Some links are only displayed to point to similar pages already created for Joomla 1.5 until the final version of this page
In the final version, every links to content pages should point to Joomla docs (need to create several pages)
Links must be typed as external links to allow simple copy past when updating the readme.txt file
Special formats will be lost when text will be pasted to a txt file. So don't use bullet lists. Bold or italic will only be useful to online reading.
This will be cleaned up soon