Version 1.6. Readme
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 13:44, 8 May 2010 by Horus 68
Draft: This page shows the content for the readme.txt file to be distributed inside Joomla! 1.6 full packs
1- What is this?
- This is a Joomla! installation/upgrade file for version 1.6.x
- For this version specific changed files see the Changelog: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/ ...changelog.html (needs a link for 1.6 changelog)
Joomla! Official site: http://www.joomla.org
2- What is Joomla?
- Joomla it's a Content Management System (CMS).
- It's a free and OpenSource software, distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later
- This is a simple and powerful web server application and it requires a server with PHP and MySQL to run it. More details here:
- See Features Overview - http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Core_Features (as in http://www.joomla.org/core-features.html)
- Try out our online demo: http://demo.joomla.org/ (needs a new link to 1.6 demo)
3- Is Joomla for you?
- Joomla its the right solution for any content web project: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_Is_it_for-me?
Part is already here http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/
4- How to Find a Joomla! Translation?
- The Translations Working Group maintains a repository of accredited language packs:
5- Learn Joomla!
- Read Getting Started with Joomla to find out the basics: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Getting_Started (as in http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/getting-started.html
- Before installing, read the beginners guide: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Beginners_Guide (as in http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners )
6- What are the limits of Joomla?
- Joomla sites can be extended in functionalities with extensions that you can create to suite your needs
- There are lots of ready made extensions that you can download and install.
- See the Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED): http://extensions.joomla.org
7- Is it easy to change the layout display?
- The layout its controlled by templates that you can edit.
- Joomla Template Tutorial - http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Template_Tutorial (as in http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla!_1.5_Template_Tutorial )
- There are lots of ready made templates that you can download
- See the Joomla Templates Directory: http:// templates .joomla.org
8- Ready to install Joomla?
- See minimum requirements here: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_technical_requirements (as in http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/technical-requirements.html)
- You should start your Joomla experience building your site at a local test server.
When ready it can be moved to an online hosting account. See the URL: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_First_install
9- Updates are free!
- Always use the latest version: http://www.joomla.org/download.html
10- Where can you get support and help?
- Find help and other users. - http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/create-and-share.html
- Joomla Resources Directory (JRD) - http://resources.joomla.org/tos.html
- Feel free to post questions at our forums: http://forum.joomla.org
11- Already have a site but its not built with Joomla 1.6 ?
- Move to the 1.6 experience [Tag line for 1.6 here!]
- Joomla! 1.6 Overview - http://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/4483-joomla-15-overview.html
- What are the main differences from 1.5 to 1.6? http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_license
- Migrating from 1.5.x to 1.6? Tutorial: http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Migrating_from_Joomla_1.5_to_Joomla_1.6
- Convert an existing Web site to Joomla - http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_Convert_an_existing_Web_site_to_a_Joomla!_Web_site
Get Involved! Joomla its a community developed software, not owned by a corporation.
- Join the Joomla community at http://www.joomla.org
Copyright (C) 2005 - 2010 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
GNU General Public License version 2 or later; see License at []
File ends here
- Some links are only displayed to point to similar pages already created for Joomla 1.5 until the final version of this page
- In the final version, every links to content pages should point to Joomla docs (need to create several pages)
- Links must be typed as external links to allow simple copy past when updating the readme.txt file
- Special formats will be lost when text will be pasted to a txt file.
This will be cleaned up soon